About posts on the forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About posts on the forum

It seems the issue concerning civility and brotherly love concerning posts on the forum has been adequately addressed. I would like to address a perspective about posts.

It seems the purpose of our reading and posting is to learn, share, and grow. It is my purpose. If the purpose becomes a place just to expound ones own beliefs this violates the idea of a forum and becomes more of a podium. It is not that individual beliefs should not be shared but when the posts become repetitious by repeating the same point of view after the posting of every contrary view, the forum takes on the atmosphere of a debate of opposing points of view. Thus, becoming somewhat threatening.

We should all work on making posts shorter, at least I do. Long post with an abundance of documentation or references are less likely to be thoroughly read. Every post need not be comprehensive or filled with references.

After reading the topic “HOW SHOULD THE FORUM BE RUN” this post did not fit the subject nor does it really fit here.

My main purpose is to obey His Holy Spirit who has called me to preach His gospel. I try to post whatever He leads me to post and whenever He leads me to post.

Edit: I do of course learn much on this forum from others. I learn in many ways. Even in things the Holy Spirit has revealed to me, when others post questions or objections, that causes me to seek The Lord and He reveals more to me, or will confirm that what He had already revealed to me was from Him.

Of course not all of my posts are something The Holy Spirit revealed to me. It is easy to tell the difference. When something is not something The Holy Spirit revealed, I usually write, "it seems" or "It may be" etc. But when it is something that The Holy Spirit has revealed, I write, "it is" not "it may be".

When writing about something that I have not sought The Holy Spirit about for many years, I am often wrong and learn by reading the posts of others. I have learned many things from every member of this forum.

But the things that The Holy Spirit has revealed and I write about in confidence, is because I have sought Him over a period of many years ( several decades) and He has confirmed these things many times and proved them with the Holy Scriptures.
    Last edited by Lou Newton; April 23, 2017, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Thanks for your feedback, Glen. It is received by me as sound forum etiquette and coneys a care for respect towards others' time and effort which they spend in reading what we post. After spending some years in forums and observing the swings in etiquette (and getting some personal feedback, which I took to heart and found helpful), especially on particular topics that are dear to each online community, it may become necessary and desirable to now and again address etiquette in general. Some things do bear repeating and rephrasing and cross-referencing--both immediately and spaced out periodically--due to their importance, difficulty or learning curve; but it is good not to overdo it, or good to do it in a way that is cohesive rather than disruptive. We should endeavor always to maintain a balance, even while realizing that one size doesn't fit all.

Comment

Originally posted by Baruch View Post
        Thanks for your feedback, Glen. It is received by me as sound forum etiquette and coneys a care for respect towards others' time and effort which they spend in reading what we post. After spending some years in forums and observing the swings in etiquette (and getting some personal feedback, which I took to heart and found helpful), especially on particular topics that are dear to each online community, it may become necessary and desirable to now and again address etiquette in general. Some things do bear repeating and rephrasing and cross-referencing--both immediately and spaced out periodically--due to their importance, difficulty or learning curve; but it is good not to overdo it, or good to do it in a way that is cohesive rather than disruptive. We should endeavor always to maintain a balance, even while realizing that one size doesn't fit all.
        I am hesitant to leave just a courtesy feedback because of the number of posts.
        I keep looking for the "LIKE" button but have not yet located it.
        Until I find the "LIKE" button I trust a thumbs up feedback is not necessary to believe ones post is beneficial.
        The organizational philosophy on this forum is apart from my comprehension.

Comment

Originally posted by glen smith View Post

I am hesitant to leave just a courtesy feedback because of the number of posts.
          I keep looking for the "LIKE" button but have not yet located it.
          Until I find the "LIKE" button I trust a thumbs up feedback is not necessary to believe ones post is beneficial.
          The organizational philosophy on this forum is apart from my comprehension.
          Look down at the lower right hand corner of the post in question: you will see "ip" - "Edit" - "Quote" - "Flag" - "Like"

When you click on the like icon it changes to "unlike" so it is clear that it registers your LIKE. But I do not see where anyone can see that someone clicked on the "LIKE".

Comment

Oh. My screen only has - " quote (picture of a flag)Flag

Comment

Originally posted by glen smith View Post
              Oh. My screen only has - " quote (picture of a flag)Flag
              So...Lou and I are the only ones who can like posts? Haha... ahem. I will have to investigate this.

It's my understanding that the Like contributes to a calculation that is used in the display of the colored meter below one's avatar. Also, there is number next to the Thumbs Up Like gadget on every post, and you can click on it to see who liked the post.

I have a test account. I'll see if I can figure out how to make this available to everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Baruch View Post

So...Lou and I are the only ones who can like posts? Haha... ahem. I will have to investigate this.
                Ah . . ha! So, this is how Lou has kept members from posting "unlike" on his posts?

Comment

Working...
                X