Space probe has landed on comet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Space probe has landed on comet

A space probe that was launched ten years ago has landed on a comet that is over 300 billion miles from the earth.

For photos and videos click on the links below:

Associated Press Videos

Space Probe Trying to Land on Comet
     Space Probe Trying to Land on Comet

DARMSTADT, Germany (AP) Hundreds of millions of miles from Earth, a European spacecraft released a lander toward the icy, dusty surface of a speeding comet Wednesday, setting off a seven-hour countdown to an audacious attempt to answer some big questions about the origin of the universe.

1.Europe ready to land 1st probe on streaking comet Associated Press
    2.Rosetta watch: Follow history's first comet landing live CNET
    3.Rosetta lander starts descent to comet in historic space mission Reuters
    4.Rosetta Probe Getting Set for Historic Comet Landing Attempt SPACE.com
    5.Rosetta probe poised to release comet lander CBS News

A successful landing would cap a 6.4 billion-kilometer (4 billion-mile) journey by the European Space Agency's Rosetta spacecraft, launched a decade ago to study the 4-kilometer-wide (2.5-mile-wide) 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko comet. The Philae lander would be the first spacecraft ever to land on a comet.

"It's on its own now," said Stephan Ulamec, Philae Lander Manager at the DLR German Aerospace Center.

Due to the vast distances involved and the time delays in receiving data, confirmation of a landing should reach Earth about 1603 GMT (11:03 a.m. EST).

Scientists have likened the trillion or so comets in our solar system to time capsules that are virtually unchanged since the earliest moments of the universe.

"By studying one in enormous detail, we can hope to unlock the puzzle of all of the others," said Mark McCaughrean, a senior scientific adviser to the mission.

ESA controllers clapped and embraced at mission control in Darmstadt as they got confirmation that the unmanned Rosetta, racing through space in tandem with the comet at 41,000 mph (66,000 kph), had successfully released the 220-pound (100-kilogram), washing machine-sized Philae lander.

"Philae has gone. It's on its path down to the comet," Rosetta flight director Andrea Accomazzo said. "We are all glad that it worked flawlessly in the past minutes."

Philae was supposed to drift down to the comet and latch on using harpoons and ice screws. ESA announced hours before the release that a third component an active descent system that uses thrust to prevent the lander from bouncing off the surface of the low-gravity comet could not be activated. It wasn't clear how big of a setback that was.

"We'll need some luck not to land on a boulder or a steep slope," Ulamec said.

During the descent, scientists are powerless to do anything but watch, because the vast distance to Earth 500 million kilometers (311 million miles) makes it impossible to send instructions in real time. It takes more than 28 minutes for a command to reach Rosetta.

Two hours after the lander separated, scientists re-established contact with it.

"Now we can follow it on its descent," said Paolo Ferri, head of mission operations at ESA.

Rosetta, which was launched in 2004, had to slingshot three times around Earth and once around Mars before it could work up enough speed to chase down the comet, which it reached in August. Rosetta and the comet have been traveling in tandem ever since.

If the lander's mission is successful, Rosetta and Philae plan to accompany the comet as it hurtles past the sun and becomes increasingly active in the rising temperatures. Using 21 different instruments, the twin spacecraft will collect data that scientists hope will help explain the origins and evolution of celestial bodies, and maybe even life on Earth.

"The science starts the minute we get down to the ground," McCaughrean said.

Tantalizingly, the mission will also give researchers the opportunity to test the theory that comets brought organic matter and water to Earth billions of years ago, said Klim Churyumov, one of the two astronomers who discovered the comet in 1969.

The European Space Agency says even if Philae's landing doesn't succeed, the 1.3 billion-euro ($1.6 billion) mission won't be a failure because Rosetta will be able to perform about 80 percent of the scientific mission on its own.
    Online:

http://new.livestream.com/ESA/cometlanding

http://news.yahoo.com/scientists-set...072512433.html
    Last edited by Lou Newton; November 12, 2014, 10:28 AM.

Men are trying to rebuild Babylon.

Men are trying to rebuild Babylon.

If one watches the video of the live feed from Europe, they will see people patting themselves on the back as they had just defeated sin and death.

Men tried to build a tower to heaven thousands of years ago, and God confused their languages to stop them and make them spread around the earth.

Now these men of different languages ( 15 nations in Europe and the US and Canada were involved) have landed this object on a comet. They hope to prove that comets seeded organic compounds on the earth billions of years ago. They act as if that would prove there was no God and then they would consider themselves gods.

But even if God left this evidence for man to see how He made the earth bring forth life, THAT DOES NOTHING TO PROVE THAT HE DOES NOT EXIST. These men think themselves so wise, and they are acting so foolish.

Just as the Popes caused much of the world to doubt the Bible by insisting that the earth was at the center of the universe, this same error continues to this day.

While most know that the Sun is the center of our solar system, many still hang onto the earth centered theology. Much of the church unknowingly supports this error by insisting that the creation took place in 6 earth days. That is a left over from the earth centered universe.

The Holy Scriptures make no such claim. In fact they show that was NOT the case.

In the 1st day the earth was not even formed yet, so there could not be an earth day, without an earth.

These false assumptions are nothing but arrogance or ignorance. And many innocent people are carried along to that error.

So as these men think themselves so wise because of this accomplishment, we witness their attempt to rebuild Babylon.

Lou Newton

Comment

Lou,

It's curious, when I read this "ESA controllers clapped and embraced at mission control" I immediately thought of the victory celebration over the dead bodies of the two witnesses of Revelation, as if the space men were achieving or working towards victory over one of them. Reading your comment confirmed my reaction. The heavens are a witness that there is an intelligent Creator, so perhaps it is a type of that prophetic scene.

I'm noticing more when words like "luck" are used. I used to use this word all the time. As a blessing: good luck. As a thanksgiving: what good luck! As a prayer: with luck, I will... These days such idioms disagree with me at a deep level and I find in myself an aversion to using them. (I often wonder, am I a weirdo or is this not so rare?) The builders of Babylon are certainly not seeking Yahweh's guidance and blessings. On the contrary, Babylon seeks its own way.

Comment

I had another thought. As a mere man, with all my challenges, including a stupid virus, I'm amazed at a feat like this. 300 billion miles with a 1990's machine to rendezvous with a bullet in space.

Those smart men must be extremely proud.

I try to imagine what it's like being that smart and it's a bit of a mystery.

I try to imagine what it's like being as smart as our God and it does not take long to fail. My imagination collapses. I cannot even imagine what great things he is capable of in the vastness of our "known" universe.

Comment

Originally posted by Baruch View Post
          I had another thought. As a mere man, with all my challenges, including a stupid virus, I'm amazed at a feat like this. 300 billion miles with a 1990's machine to rendezvous with a bullet in space.

I try to imagine what it's like being as smart as our God and it does not take long to fail. My imagination collapses. I cannot even imagine what great things he is capable of in the vastness of our "known" universe.
          These men are nothing but conformist. They stood on the shoulders of giants. Men like them could not even understand Isaac newton's work after he published it. They claimed it was crazy. But today his work has been proven so many times that they do use it.

Without the original thought and works of men like Copernicus, Kepler, Galileo, Newton and many others WHO BELIEVED IN EVERY WORD OF THE BIBLE THEY COULD DO NOTHING.

They use these men's discoveries and then foolishly reject the same men that made the discoveries as fools for believing the Bible.

If that does not make these men foolish, I do not know what foolish is.

Lou

Comment

Originally posted by Baruch View Post

It's funny you would compare the comet to a bullet travelling through space. I was already thinking the same thing. But at 41,000 mph, it's actually moving nearly 28 times faster than an average bullet, according to the source linked below. It's hard to imagine mere men successfully landing anything on an object moving that fast.

http://www.answers.com/Q/How_fast_ca...llet_go_in_mph

Comment

Working...
            X