The most deadly animal in the US

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The most deadly animal in the US

You are way more likely to be killed by deer than by sharks, bears, and gators combined

http://www.vox.com/2016/9/24/1303227...r-sharks-bears

It’s time America’s truly deadliest animal became known.

Updated by German Lopez @germanrlopez [email protected] Sep 24, 2016, 10:00

The deer is the deadliest animal in America.

That’s the conclusion of an analysis of CDC data from LCB, which broke down the types of animals most uniquely likely to kill you in your state — with larger mammals, mostly deer, coming out on top in most states: LCB
    Still, death by animal remains pretty rare in America: The odds of an animal killing you are one in nearly 1.4 million.

Within those odds, however, deer are more likely to cause deaths than other animals — more than dogs, bears, sharks, and alligators combined, according to the LCB analysis. (One inventive solution to the deer problem: helping reestablish the cougar population to kill a lot of deer.) LCB
    But you shouldn’t worry too much about murderous deer mauling you and your family.

According to the analysis, “Deer are the deadliest animal in the United States — but deer-related fatalities most often stem from accidents, not vicious attacks.” It added, “Due to rapid urban development, the deer’s natural habitat is shrinking, causing them to share more space with humans, where they often wander into oncoming traffic and cause car crashes. Deer-related crashes are a growing problem across the country that has led to sterilization programs and culling in the Northeast, even in the star-studded Hamptons.”

NOTE: I think the article downplays the danger of deer too much. I have never seen of felt danger from a doe. I see them every time I run in the park and have never felt in danger even when they had fawns with them. BUT a large buck is no animal to play around with. They can be aggressive and very dangerous.

Several months ago I seen the largest buck I have ever seen while running in the park. I felt a sense of danger and got out of that area as soon, and quiet as possible. No man would have a chance of outrunning a buck, not even Usain Bolt. A deer is twice as fast as any man. An unarmed man also would have very little chance defending himself against the rack of a large buck. Your best chance may be to climb a tree. But I stay as far away from any large buck as possible.

Of course the time of season makes a big difference. Bucks are most dangerous during the rut. During this time the buck may look at you as someone trying to mate with it's doe and treat you the same as it would another buck.
    Last edited by Lou Newton; September 24, 2016, 01:35 PM.

During rutting season, deer can be dangerous neighbors

https://www.army.mil/article/70422

By Craig Stowers, California Department of Fish and Game senior wildlife biologistDecember 7, 2011 1 / 1SHOW CAPTION +
    (Editor's note: Wildlife expert Craig Stowers wrote the following article regarding the above photo of deer taken on the Presidio of Monterey.)

PRESIDIO OF MONTEREY, Calif. - This picture is a great example of something I tell people all the time: Deer don't make very good neighbors.

In addition to generally being a nuisance by eating, trampling and defecating on landscaping and gardens, deer can also be dangerous to human beings and other domestic animals, particularly dogs.

It's obvious from the photo that these bucks are not "friendly" and should be given a wide berth, but even younger, smaller deer are very strong and unpredictable and should never be approached in any way.

There are a couple times a year when there is an increased potential for a negative (especially for the human) encounter with a deer.

The first is around late March to early June, when does have fawns in hiding or just at heel. The does are particularly protective of the fawns during this time period, so do not approach any fawns or allow your dogs to do so.

If a fawn is seen without a doe, please, do not assume the fawn is orphaned and needs rescue. The doe is undoubtedly in the area, most likely feeding or just waiting for you to leave the area so she can check back in on her fawn.

The second time to be aware of is around mid-November to mid-January when bucks are in the rut.

During this time of year bucks are continually on the move, fighting other bucks and looking for does to breed. They don't even take time to eat during rutting season--the urge to reproduce is overwhelming and not to be interfered with.

The bucks in this photo are large and powerful animals with sharp antlers that can do a lot of damage to the human body. Even if you aren't the target of the antlers, just getting caught up in a situation like this could be a very bad experience and is something to be avoided at all costs.

Like all wildlife, deer are best observed at a distance. Don't feed them or try to interfere with their behaviors in any way.

The photo represents an aspect of deer behavior that people should be aware of so they can act appropriately and avoid any negative interactions that could result.

Although dramatic, I'm sure that most people would prefer that the kind of "wildlife experience" shown in the photo not occur in their yard or their neighbors' yard.

Comment

Deer in rut can be a killing machine

http://westernfarmpress.com/blog/dee...illing-machine

Nov 7, 2013by Chris Bennett in Farm Press Blog
      RSS​​​
      COMMENTS 0
      • When the rut kicks in and testosterone flows — a buck turns from timidity to terror.

RELATED MEDIA

Pig farmer replays Deliverance with repo men
      It makes no difference whether a deer is bottle-fed or raised with human contact, when the rut kicks in and testosterone flows — a buck turns from timidity to terror.

Puffed neck and polished antlers, bucks can attack fast and in an unrelenting, manic fashion. It’s not unheard of for rutting deer to pummel and batter dead bucks killed byhunters — the rage is that strong. Lethal antlers, kicking legs, sharp hooves and extraordinary muscle strength combine to turn a buck into a killing machine.

A pen-raised, hand-fed buck can be docile all year round — almost. During breeding season they are transformed and aggression takes over.

For Kenneth Price, 75, the danger came home when he was attacked and gored on Oct. 30. Price, a Welsh sheep producer, was expanding his operation and trying out venison farming. When a rescue helicopter arrived, his extensive injuries required “on-the-spot” surgery before he was airlifted out. Following subsequent hospital surgery, Price died five days later.

Unfortunately, Price’s death has plenty of precedent.

• In 2011, a 55-year-old farmer was killed in Canada after “numerous piercings” from a rutting deer. Authorities found him in fenced field and said he had “been gored to death while trying to feed the animals.”

• In 2007, 66-year-old John Henry Frix was found dead inside a pen and “gored several times in the upper body by a red deer’s antlers” on his game ranch in Georgia; the buck was in the rut.

• In 2004, English farmer Clifford Colling, 73, died on his venison farm after “going to an enclosure where his deer were being kept during the rutting season. Two concerned colleagues who went to look for him were also attacked by a stag. One of them suffered head, leg and arm injuries.”

• In 2000, Kansas producer Margaret Hershberger, 75, was killed in her farmyard “by a deer that she and her husband raised from infancy.”

See below for YouTube videos showing the power and relentless nature of a rutting buck. Both clips (fair warning for graphic content) show bucks attacking dead deer killed by hunters:

Comment

ban all the deerz!!!!!1

That was sarcasm. I can imagine the Tweets flying.

What animals lack in cognition they make up for with physical and tactical prowess. I once read with awe and fascination about moose in rut, the supreme terror of Canada and Alaska. The danger of deer/elk, and all animals wild and domesticated for that matter, are grossly underestimated by most people. Encounters may be rare, but when they happen and it turns into a throwdown statistics are no comfort.

I saw a video of a bow hunter who dowsed himself with deer musk to attract prey, and was attacked by a small buck. It didn't try to skewer him, rather it raised up very tall on hind legs and kicked like a whirlwind with its front hooves. The guy had no defense. If I recall, he survived battered and lacerated.

These are very interesting and informative articles, Lou. Thank you. And timely, as rut season approaches.

Comment

I live in an area where there are many wild deer on my front lawn thank you though I'll be very careful because I walk in the woods and many times I see a buck. Thanks Lou.

Comment

If a buck tries to bite you jam your arm down his throat. Oh wait...that's a bear. Never mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Hollander View Post
              I live in an area where there are many wild deer on my front lawn thank you though I'll be very careful because I walk in the woods and many times I see a buck. Thanks Lou.
              Thanks Barry and Steve for the replies.

Bucks will usually run from you if you do not force the issue. BUT in the rut season they can be very dangerous as you have read.

Comment

Working...
              X