• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squatter shot by homeowner in self defense

http://keepandbear.com/2a/squatter-s...-self-defense/

SQUATTER SHOT BY HOMEOWNER IN SELF DEFENSE

KEELY SHARPJANUARY 11, 2017

In Sarasota, Florida, a homeowner practiced his second amendment right when he returned home with his family and found a man, Glenn Oliver, in the house.

TRENDING ON Keep And Bear

The quiet neighborhood rang with gunshots after Oliver threatened the family with a baseball bat.

The neighbor, Pam Zeck stated, “I just can’t imagine how scared and freaked out they must have been. There have been minor break-ins and things like that since I’ve lived here, but never anything like this.”

Just one more reason to have a firearm in your home. The homeowner also has a concealed carry permit as well.
    “It was terrifying for this family. There’s a small child there as well,” said sheriff’s office spokesperson Kaitlyn Perez.

Deputies said Oliver broke in through a window and may have been living there for days.

“It’s possible, since we had such a cold weekend, that he was looking for a warm place to stay. We talked to his family members. He wasn’t always staying at home. He was traveling around,” said Perez.

Deputies said Oliver had just been released from prison. He had served a 10-year sentence for robbery with a firearm and carjacking. He was out on probation from the Miami-Dade area.

“He is a felony offender. He has an extensive criminal history. Unfortunately he was at the wrong place at the wrong time,” Perez offered.

Apparently for Oliver, he chose the wrong house and the wrong family to target.

The homeowner was right in this situation though. He felt threatened in his own home by an intruder. He simply shot in self defense.

The homeowner does not face any charges at this time.

Thanks, Lou. These incidents are covered up by the establishment. If it weren't for watchdog and advocate sites, we might never hear how people every day lawfully protect their families, neighbors, and selves from violence.

Comment

Originally posted by Baruch View Post
      Thanks, Lou. These incidents are covered up by the establishment. If it weren't for watchdog and advocate sites, we might never hear how people every day lawfully protect their families, neighbors, and selves from violence.
      I have read some sources that claim that there are far more people saved from harm with a firearm, than there are harmed with a firearm.

Comment

Originally posted by Lou Newton View Post
        I have read some sources that claim that there are far more people saved from harm with a firearm, than there are harmed with a firearm.
        That is interesting.

Someone posted this today:

"Early this morning an armed Good Samaritan came upon a rollover crash on I-10 and noticed a DPS trooper being attacked and beaten on the side of the road.

The trooper had been shot. He had a man on top of him beating and slamming the trooper's head into the ground. A shocking scene.

So the Good Samaritan grabbed his gun from his car, and shot and killed the suspect-- saving the trooper's life. He is alive and recovering tonight. Arizona Dept of Public Safety thankful for that Samaritan's help.

Say what you want about Arizona's gun laws. In some states this wouldn't have happened and this story would have had a terrible ending."
        An Arizona state trooper stopped to help at a car wreck along a remote highway Thursday when he was shot and wounded in an ambush by a man who was bashing the officer's head against the pavement until...

Comment

Originally posted by Baruch View Post

That is interesting.

Someone posted this today:

"Early this morning an armed Good Samaritan came upon a rollover crash on I-10 and noticed a DPS trooper being attacked and beaten on the side of the road.

The trooper had been shot. He had a man on top of him beating and slamming the trooper's head into the ground. A shocking scene.

So the Good Samaritan grabbed his gun from his car, and shot and killed the suspect-- saving the trooper's life. He is alive and recovering tonight. Arizona Dept of Public Safety thankful for that Samaritan's help.

Say what you want about Arizona's gun laws. In some states this wouldn't have happened and this story would have had a terrible ending."
          Thanks for posting this Barry. Hopefully more members can post examples of people who have protected themselves, or others, with firearms.

Comment

https://www.yahoo.com/news/georgia-g...225010637.html
            Georgia gun store owner shoots, kills armed robbery suspect

KATE BRUMBACK,Associated Press 22 hours ago

MABLETON, Ga. (AP) — A Georgia gun store owner's quick reflexes and skilled marksmanship may have saved his life and others when armed robbers came calling.

Surveillance video shows Jimmy Groover, owner of Dixie Gun and Pawn, turning around when two suspects walk into his store on Dec. 26. Another employee raises his hands as the suspects charge in.

At least one is wearing a mask and has a gun drawn, pointed in the direction of Groover and his employee. Groover wedged himself behind a gun safe in the back of the store. He said he heard one of them say, "Get on the ground. I'm going to kill you."

"I saw the mask and the gun at the same time, and I knew it was him or me," Groover told The Associated Press on Thursday, adding that he acted to protect himself, his employee and two customers who were in the store.

The suspect draws a second gun and Groover fires at least two shots at the first suspect, who immediately falls to the floor on his back, both guns falling from his hands.

As the suspect fell, he fired a bullet that shattered the counter's glass case and lodged in a door just inches from where Groover was standing, he said.

Groover appears to fire several shots toward the other suspect, as he turns and flees. Smoke from the gunshots fills the store.

The suspect who was shot, 30-year-old Donovan Chopin, died at the scene, police said. The investigation into attempted robbery is ongoing and the second suspect has not been caught, Cobb County police Officer Alicia Chilton said.

Groover doesn't face any charges, Chilton said.

In the 30 years that Groover, 64, has owned a gun store, this was the first time he's been present when someone tried to rob him. But there have been 18 burglaries at his store and about a dozen attempted burglaries over those three decades, he said.

When an AP reporter visited his store Thursday, Cobb County police officers were there, downloading surveillance video from an attempted burglary on Jan. 6.

Since news of the shooting, Groover said he's received calls from around the country.

"They've just called to give me support because they know it's not an easy thing to do," he said. "People are tired of being victimized, and they're glad to see a good guy win."

Comment

Working...
            X