Got this Monday: Attention....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got this Monday: Attention....

"We interrupt this day to introduce you to the sciatic nerve running from your spine all the way down your leg."

No one every told me how much getting old can HURT.
    I surely would appreciate prayers for a speedy recovery and some links to appropriate stretching exercises.
    Also, if someone could come finish the vacuuming that started this whole thing....? :rolleyes:
    You know not what you do because you know not who He is.
    - Paul Washer
    Satan is the angel of knowledge and he does not waste his time on anything for no reason.
    - Lou Newton

Originally posted by Jules View Post
    "We interrupt this day to introduce you to the sciatic nerve running from your spine all the way down your leg."

I surely would appreciate prayers for a speedy recovery and some links to appropriate stretching exercises.
    Also, if someone could come finish the vacuuming that started this whole thing....? :rolleyes:
    I will be praying for you Julie. I had the same pain for years from an auto accident.

1 - Lay flat on the floor or your bed and then put a pillow on your lap and sit up and stretch down onto the pillow.

2 - Lay of the floor or bed and squeeze your butt cheeks together while also tightening your abs. Do as many as you feel comfortable doing.

3 - stand against a wall and do the same as listed in 2.

4 - do crunches on the floor with bent knees.

5 - sit in a chair with a pillow on your lap and then stretch as far against the pillow as you can. Hold this position and then sit back up and repeat as many as you are comfortable doing.

Anything you can do to strengthen your abs will help to get rid of the pain. It will take time though to do this. The more times you do the exercises above the faster you will strengthen your abs.

Hope you get well real soon

Lou

Comment

Julie,

It took me some time to get rid of my back and sciatic pain. I walked and then jogged on dirt trails and that helped a lot. Walking on concrete makes is far worse instead of helping. Once I was able to walk and run again I started doing jump stretch three times week.

This got rid of all of my joint pain. My wrists were hurting when I would pick anything up. This was gone with the first workout by pulling on the joint. My knee pain took more time, but it also went away.

I have been doing jump stretch for a year now and I am doing squats with up to 600# of bands. I warm up with 200#. I started last year with 100#.

You can buy a DVD and the bands and do it at home. You do not have to be an athlete. You can do this at your own pace and get more flexible and also stronger.

In Chicago we walked quite a few miles one day on concrete. ( maybe up to 10 miles) I could never have done this before I did this jump stretch.

Before I did jump stretch my knees were hurting so much I thought I would have to quit running. But now I am a year older, yet the knee pain is gone and I run further and faster than before.

You can go here and scroll down through the comments to watch videos of people doing the exercises.

https://www.facebook.com/FlexPerformance

I was trying to find the training video that they sell, but could not find it on their page. It goes slower and shows a beginner how to do these exercises. We have a 84 year old man in our class.

Lou

Comment

Hmmmm....thank you, Lou. Although honestly I cannot sit still - I mean I still can't sit - these look like exactly what I need. I'm a bit surprised by the whole situation. I have strong abs. I have strong legs. I would venture to guess that I'm in better shape physically than 80%+ of my peers. I have, however, apparently very short ham strings.
        Lots of squats, lots of walking, lots of rebounding, no stretching = not as good a shape as I thought.

Now, about that vacuuming...??? It's not gonna do itself y'know
        - Paul Washer
        Satan is the angel of knowledge and he does not waste his time on anything for no reason.
        - Lou Newton

Comment

Hmmmm....thank you, Lou. Although honestly I cannot sit still - I mean I still can't sit - these look like exactly what I need. I'm a bit surprised by the whole situation. I have strong abs. I have strong legs. I would venture to guess that I'm in better shape physically than 80%+ of my peers. I have, however, apparently very short ham strings.
          Lots of squats, lots of walking, lots of rebounding, no stretching = not as good a shape as I thought.

I have short ham strings too. One thing that has really helped is some of the exercises at jump stretch really stretch my ham strings. That has helped my back and knees more than anything.

Hey, I am on my way to run your vacuum. It is long way, I should get there some time next year, maybe longer.

Lou

Comment

Oh, ow, yeah Julie. I had a nerve impaction in my lower spine last year. Judging from our general age group here, I'd guess a few of us may have experience with this. (Travis, this is one blessing of youth you should go out of your way to appreciate, brother.) It was, I believe, the most painful event of my life. It took me three weeks to get the inflammation down so I could just move with some semblance of normalcy, and another few months until I could even sit a full workday in a comfy ergonomic office chair without suffering all kinds of painful knots in my back.

The most immediate temporary relief I found for my lower back was to lie flat on my back and prop my knees up with a pillow or two. This was bliss.

Lou said, "Anything you can do to strengthen your abs will help to get rid of the pain. It will take time though to do this." I agree with this 100%. The best preventative maintenance exercises for the lower back involve strengthening the core muscles: abs, and very carefully the lower back. The more fit your core is, the less your posture will settle into unhealthy curvature. It is good that you're already fit in this regard. Be very careful with exercises that flex the spine, these can cause further injury. As you probably know, proper lifting and exertion techniques become essential once you've been injured because you will likely have fibrosis (scarring).

Right away, you should tailor your diet to reduce free radicals and inflammation. Stop eating GMO food. Eat organic. Eat foods rich in antioxidants. Keep your fluids up. Look into a good glucosamine supplement--it takes about 6 months to kick in. For example, this supplement is free of shellfish and other common allergens. If you're open to commercial options, see losethebackpain.com--I cannot personally vouch for them, but others highly regard their books, videos and supplements.

I also have an old powerlifting belt that supports the lumbar. I like to use it when doing strenuous activities, like shoveling snow or moving more than one heavy thing where I will get fatigued. It would help for vacuuming, too.

Maybe I can come next year, too. Lou and I could tag-team it. I'll bring the garden rakes, Lou, you bring the pitchforks. :D

Comment

OH. And I forgot. Whatever you do, don't laugh for a couple weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by Baruch View Post
                Oh, ow, yeah Julie. I had a nerve impaction in my lower spine last year. Judging from our general age group here, I'd guess a few of us may have experience with this. (Travis, this is one blessing of youth you should go out of your way to appreciate, brother.) It was, I believe, the most painful event of my life. It took me three weeks to get the inflammation down so I could just move with some semblance of normalcy, and another few months until I could even sit a full workday in a comfy ergonomic office chair without suffering all kinds of painful knots in my back.

The most immediate temporary relief I found for my lower back was to lie flat on my back and prop my knees up with a pillow or two. This was bliss.

Lou said, "Anything you can do to strengthen your abs will help to get rid of the pain. It will take time though to do this." I agree with this 100%. The best preventative maintenance exercises for the lower back involve strengthening the core muscles: abs, and very carefully the lower back. The more fit your core is, the less your posture will settle into unhealthy curvature. It is good that you're already fit in this regard. Be very careful with exercises that flex the spine, these can cause further injury. As you probably know, proper lifting and exertion techniques become essential once you've been injured because you will likely have fibrosis (scarring).

Right away, you should tailor your diet to reduce free radicals and inflammation. Stop eating GMO food. Eat organic. Eat foods rich in antioxidants. Keep your fluids up. Look into a good glucosamine supplement--it takes about 6 months to kick in. For example, this supplement is free of shellfish and other common allergens. If you're open to commercial options, see losethebackpain.com--I cannot personally vouch for them, but others highly regard their books, videos and supplements.

I also have an old powerlifting belt that supports the lumbar. I like to use it when doing strenuous activities, like shoveling snow or moving more than one heavy thing where I will get fatigued. It would help for vacuuming, too.

Maybe I can come next year, too. Lou and I could tag-team it. I'll bring the garden rakes, Lou, you bring the pitchforks. :D
                Yea, by the time we get it done a vacuum will be useless. Garden rakes and pitchforks, now that is a really dirty carpet.

I agree with Barry about the food. I eat almost totally organic and that has helped immensely. It costs more but way cheaper than hospital and doctor bills.

Also I try to follow the food laws in the Bible. We are free in all things, but not all things are profitable. If God told Israel to eat this way, who could even suggest a better way to eat. He is our creator and knows what we should eat and what we should not eat.

I do not eat pork, shellfish, and many other things that The Lord told Israel not to eat.

I stopped eating any meat that was not raised and fed organic. We are told not to eat anything that eats blood. Most feed lots feed their cows rendered beef and blood mixed with other feeds. This causes many diseases. Cows are herbivores and their system is made to eat grass and not meat.

Lou

Comment

OW OW OW OW OW! No, I refuse to be that bad off! I don't have time for that much OW OW OW OW OW!

Obviously, we are all already more brothers and sisters than we even realize tho.
                  I can't afford total organic, but we do eat grass fed beef. Rarely shellfish, but pork does show up on the menu now & then.
                  I make my own kefir from raw goat milk and have access most of the year to eggs right out of the henhouse down the road.
                  Grow a lot of my own veggies in the summer, which helps a lot. Already do a lot of supplements including MSM, gelatin, glucosamine for joints. Don't care for doctors so do whatever I can to avoid them.

Anyway, your prayers and links must be working as I feel much better already. Sitting still hurts, but I'm up.
                  I may be slower than Internet Explorer on a 90's dial-up connection, but I am up & running!

Keep your fluids up
                  Hey yeah! Got a bottle of something left over from Thanksgiving here...I'm sure that'll help! :rofl:
                  - Paul Washer
                  - Lou Newton

Comment

Working...
                  X