Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stung by a hornet ?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Stung by a hornet ?

    Yesterday morning I was walking and running at Mill Creek park. When I got close to an area where I have been stung by ground bees and so have others, I called out to The Lord to have mercy on me and keep me from being stung by the ground bees. I made it past that area without being stung.

    But when I was walking down the dirt road that is past that area, suddenly I felt wings on my hand and was stung before I could react. I seen the insect that stung me, but it was only a very quick look before it flew away. It did not hurt that much and I thought it was a ground bee.

    So I went on walking and running my regular course. I ran a half mile boardwalk and path with 108 steps in it in 3:40, so I ran pretty hard.

    But my hand started swelling up and was very large in a few minutes. I had never had a reaction to any sting like this before. I went home and rubbed Benadryl gel on it ( I kept putting this on ever few hours). It went down from the huge swelling that it was, but it is still swollen tonight 36 hours later.

    It must have not been a ground bee, maybe a hornet. I did not feel well the rest of Sunday or today.

    Please pray that this does not cause any permanent damage. Also I would like to know what The Lord is trying to tell me by this whole event.

  • #2
    Some insect stings can be very painful. Of course, we ask the Lord to heal this wound.

    Forgive my humor, but I could not help myself but to reply to your question, "I would like to know what The Lord is trying to tell me by this whole event." It is in the King James Bible.

    Revelation 9
    3 Then from the smoke came locusts on the earth, and they were given power like the power of scorpions of the earth. 4 They were told not to harm the grass of the earth or any green plant or any tree, but only those people who do not have the seal of God on their foreheads.

    Acts 28
    3 Paul gathered a bundle of sticks and put it on the fire. A poisonous snake was forced out by the heat and attached itself to Paul’s hand. 4 When the people who lived there saw the snake hanging from his hand, they told one another, “This man must be a murderer! He may have escaped from the sea, but Justice won’t let him live.” 5 But he shook the snake into the fire and wasn’t harmed. 6 They were expecting him to swell up or suddenly drop dead, but after waiting a long time and seeing nothing unusual happen to him, they changed their minds and said he was a god.

    Mark 16
    18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

    May the LORD not send tribulation upon me for this!
    By the way, heat increases the blood flow which will help disperse the swelling and any residue unless there is tissue damage preventing the blood flow. In that case I think ice would be the treatment.

    Comment


    • #3
      Also, Lou, exercise is well known to aggravate allergic reactions. You may have gotten away with a typical local soreness if you had not run afterwards. If you anticipate or feel any allergies, it's wise to avoid exercising. Rest and treat the symptoms instead. I'll pray for your safety and speedy recovery, and for God to put the fear of Lou in those critters.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Baruch View Post
        Also, Lou, exercise is well known to aggravate allergic reactions. You may have gotten away with a typical local soreness if you had not run afterwards. If you anticipate or feel any allergies, it's wise to avoid exercising. Rest and treat the symptoms instead. I'll pray for your safety and speedy recovery, and for God to put the fear of Lou in those critters.
        Thanks Barry, you made me laugh. But I have been stung before by (ground bees ?) and run 5 miles after it stung me with no bad reaction.

        But I think your advice is good.

        I usually sleep 6 or 7 hours at most, but I slept 9 hours the last two nights and still did not feel like getting up. I have been feeling very tired all day long.
        Last edited by Lou Newton; August 8, 2017, 08:32 AM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Lou Newton View Post

          Thanks Barry, you made me laugh. But I have been stung before by (ground bees ?) and run 5 miles after it stung me with no bad reaction.

          But I think your advice is good.

          I usually sleep 6 or 7 hours at most, but I slept 9 hours the last two nights and still did not feel like getting up. I have been feeling very tired all day long.
          Maybe it was a different kind of insect.

          In general, allergies are inconsistent. Reactions to an allergen can range from nothing to acute, as physiological and logistical factors also have a significant bearing. Amount of allergen and the strain, the season, one's diet, stress levels, amount of rest, physical labor, environmental and body temperature, immune system load, short term repeated exposure are some of the many factors. One can be exposed many times without noticing an allergic reaction, and then have an event out of nowhere. Often that makes allergens difficult to identify.

          An allergen in the body will make you lethargic. So would a neurotoxin, e.g. from a spider bite. My gut says get plenty of rest, no vigorous activity until you're feeling back to normal. Eat moderately, drink plenty of fluids. Optionally, use ice and antihistamines judiciously. As I recall, you don't drink coffee. Caffeine is a natural antihistamine. Apples also contain a natural antihistamine. Adrenaline (epinephrine) is the best natural antihistamine, ideal in acute emergencies, which is why epi-pens exist; and why caffeine works, though more gently.

          If you're concerned go see a doctor. If s/he pushes pills, you don't have to get them. The risk assessment and advice alone might be helpful, even if you're inclined to self-help.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Baruch View Post

            Maybe it was a different kind of insect.

            In general, allergies are inconsistent. Reactions to an allergen can range from nothing to acute, as physiological and logistical factors also have a significant bearing. Amount of allergen and the strain, the season, one's diet, stress levels, amount of rest, physical labor, environmental and body temperature, immune system load, short term repeated exposure are some of the many factors. One can be exposed many times without noticing an allergic reaction, and then have an event out of nowhere. Often that makes allergens difficult to identify.

            An allergen in the body will make you lethargic. So would a neurotoxin, e.g. from a spider bite. My gut says get plenty of rest, no vigorous activity until you're feeling back to normal. Eat moderately, drink plenty of fluids. Optionally, use ice and antihistamines judiciously. As I recall, you don't drink coffee. Caffeine is a natural antihistamine. Apples also contain a natural antihistamine. Adrenaline (epinephrine) is the best natural antihistamine, ideal in acute emergencies, which is why epi-pens exist; and why caffeine works, though more gently.

            If you're concerned go see a doctor. If s/he pushes pills, you don't have to get them. The risk assessment and advice alone might be helpful, even if you're inclined to self-help.
            Thanks Barry, I will be considering all that you wrote.

            Comment

            Working...
            X