Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please pray for Shonda who has cancer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Please pray for Shonda who has cancer

    My brother called me to ask us to pray for his ex girlfriend ( many years ago ). She has just found out that she has breast cancer.

  • #2
    May the will of the Father be manifested through our suffering.
    May we be taught to be grateful for all things.
    May we come to genuinely love the Father and trust Him - regardless.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by glen smith View Post
      May the will of the Father be manifested through our suffering.
      May we be taught to be grateful for all things.
      May we come to genuinely love the Father and trust Him - regardless.
      Hi Glen,

      I do not know that we are to be grateful for all things. I am certainly not grateful that the Muslim, filled with hate, struck down many people with his truck the other day. When people do sinful acts I find it very sad. But in that circumstance I am very grateful that I can call upon The Lord.

      1 Thessalonians 5

      16 Rejoice always, 17 pray continually, 18give thanks in all circumstances;for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.

      I understand this passage to instruct me to give thanks in every circumstance, BUT I do not have to be thankful for the circumstance.

      If one gets cancer they should be thankful that they know The Lord Jesus in that circumstance.

      But I do not think they should be thankful for the sinfulness of mankind that puts so many poisons in the air, the water and our food that causes cancer.

      What are your thoughts about this ?

      Comment


      • #4
        I see your lesson in semantics is correct.
        Rephrased: May we remain grateful to the Father in all things.

        However, we have the stories of Joseph and the Babylonian exile where these terrible events were to forward the plan of God. At what point should Joseph or the exiles start being thankful? The point when they are filled with gratitude is when they start trusting God. “Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.” Hebrews 11:1.

        Given the choice of never meeting the Lord Jesus during His earthly ministry or being one of the ten lepers He healed in Luke 17, which would you have chosen to be?
        We know that one was thankful.
        Now one of them, when he saw that he had been healed, turned back, glorifying God with a loud voice, and he fell on his face at His feet, giving thanks to Him. And he was a Samaritan. Then Jesus answered and said, “Were there not ten cleansed? But the nine—where are they?”
        And the words of the Lord Jesus seem to indicate that the other nine ought to have been grateful. Do you think the one leper who returned was thankful for his disease? He should have been if the following verse is applicable.

        Also there is John 9:2-3
        2 And His disciples asked Him, “Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he would be born blind?” 3 Jesus answered, “It was neither that this man sinned, nor his parents; but it was so that the works of God might be displayed in him.

        Neither am I grateful for the terrorist attack. However, there is the thinking America ought not to suffer terrorist attacks which is an entitlement – something Americans deserves. I suspect most of the Jews of the exile thought they were entitled to remain a kingdom in Judea.

        Most often our response to injury or illness is one of entitlement. We believe we deserve good health. A quote we should always apply. “The mystery is not why there is evil in the world, but that there is any good in the world.”

        Comment


        • #5
          My brother called me to update us about Shonda ( sorry I misspelled her name before). BTW she was his fiance years ago and they have stayed friends.

          She has breast cancer and she is going to have both breasts removed this week. Please pray for her.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by glen smith View Post
            I see your lesson in semantics is correct.
            Rephrased: May we remain grateful to the Father in all things.

            However, we have the stories of Joseph and the Babylonian exile where these terrible events were to forward the plan of God. At what point should Joseph or the exiles start being thankful? The point when they are filled with gratitude is when they start trusting God. “Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.” Hebrews 11:1.

            Given the choice of never meeting the Lord Jesus during His earthly ministry or being one of the ten lepers He healed in Luke 17, which would you have chosen to be?
            We know that one was thankful.
            Now one of them, when he saw that he had been healed, turned back, glorifying God with a loud voice, and he fell on his face at His feet, giving thanks to Him. And he was a Samaritan. Then Jesus answered and said, “Were there not ten cleansed? But the nine—where are they?”
            And the words of the Lord Jesus seem to indicate that the other nine ought to have been grateful. Do you think the one leper who returned was thankful for his disease? He should have been if the following verse is applicable.

            Also there is John 9:2-3
            2 And His disciples asked Him, “Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he would be born blind?” 3 Jesus answered, “It was neither that this man sinned, nor his parents; but it was so that the works of God might be displayed in him.

            Neither am I grateful for the terrorist attack. However, there is the thinking America ought not to suffer terrorist attacks which is an entitlement – something Americans deserves. I suspect most of the Jews of the exile thought they were entitled to remain a kingdom in Judea.

            Most often our response to injury or illness is one of entitlement. We believe we deserve good health. A quote we should always apply. “The mystery is not why there is evil in the world, but that there is any good in the world.”
            Hi Glen, thank you for your reply. You make some very good points.

            It is like all truth, for walking in truth is like walking a knife edge, it is straight and very narrow.

            You are correct we should be thankful in all circumstances in our lives. While I am not thankful for the sin of mankind; I am thankful that God uses everything to bring good into our lives IF we are trusting in Him and trying to fit into His plans, instead of our own.

            Romans 8 TLB

            28 And we know that all that happens to us is working for our good if we love God and are fitting into his plans.

            It is sad that men do sinful and evil things to one another. But God will use even these evil acts done to us for our good if we are trusting in Him alone.

            And yes, I would think the thief who was crucified next to Jesus is mighty thankful that he was hung on that cross to meet Jesus. He can be thankful that God used his sinfulness and man's evil lack of mercy ( for one should not be put to death for stealing) to save him.

            But I would think he is also sad about his sinfulness of stealing and the evil that may have encouraged in others; and also the evilness of the ones that hung him on that cross if they did not repent and went to destruction.

            Some even go so far as to say, that it is good when we sin because it reveals the mercy and grace of God. But Paul does not agree and I am sure you also do not agree:
            Romans 6 (TLB)

            6 Well then, shall we keep on sinning so that God can keep on showing us more and more kindness and forgiveness?

            2-3 Of course not! Should we keep on sinning when we don’t have to? For sin’s power over us was broken when we became Christians and were baptized to become a part of Jesus Christ; through his death the power of your sinful nature was shattered. 4 Your old sin-loving nature was buried with him by baptism when he died; and when God the Father, with glorious power, brought him back to life again, you were given his wonderful new life to enjoy.
            Last edited by Lou Newton; November 5th, 2017, 12:24 PM.

            Comment


            • #7
              The repentant thief on the cross next to the Lord Jesus is an excellent example of how even things causing our death can forward the plan of God. But the thief on the cross recognized it was his stealing that brought on the penalty of death. It may be easier to accept a situation when it is caused by your own doing. The blind man had done nothing to receive his condition. For such instances it is more likely that people will feel their condition is an injustice or feel entitled to not show gratitude.

              A spiritual victory occurred the day my teenage son said. “Thank God for my cancer!” – and he meant it. He did not mean that God caused his illness but that God had benefited him through his illness more than if he had not had cancer. At the time surviving his leukemia for five years was 40% chance. 60% did not live for five years and even more did not live for seven years.

              Today, we ought to recognize such victories as small ones when we hear what those in Sutherland, Texas face. Applying this lesson in Sutherland is a much more difficult task.
              It will be similar to what the congregation in Rome faced when Caesar Nero lighted the pathway to his garden party with Christians raised up on poles and set afire.

              Just over 18 years ago this last September Wedgwood Baptist Church, Fort Worth, Texas suffered a mass shooting which killed six. This congregation has prospered.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by glen smith View Post
                The repentant thief on the cross next to the Lord Jesus is an excellent example of how even things causing our death can forward the plan of God. But the thief on the cross recognized it was his stealing that brought on the penalty of death. It may be easier to accept a situation when it is caused by your own doing. The blind man had done nothing to receive his condition. For such instances it is more likely that people will feel their condition is an injustice or feel entitled to not show gratitude.

                A spiritual victory occurred the day my teenage son said. “Thank God for my cancer!” – and he meant it. He did not mean that God caused his illness but that God had benefited him through his illness more than if he had not had cancer. At the time surviving his leukemia for five years was 40% chance. 60% did not live for five years and even more did not live for seven years.

                Today, we ought to recognize such victories as small ones when we hear what those in Sutherland, Texas face. Applying this lesson in Sutherland is a much more difficult task.
                It will be similar to what the congregation in Rome faced when Caesar Nero lighted the pathway to his garden party with Christians raised up on poles and set afire.

                Just over 18 years ago this last September Wedgwood Baptist Church, Fort Worth, Texas suffered a mass shooting which killed six. This congregation has prospered.
                Thanks Glen. That must have been a very difficult time for you and your son. We can only hope that these testimonies will help those in difficult situations.

                The thing we must all remember is that we all truly deserve to spend eternity in hell. Thank God He shows grace and mercy upon us all.

                We also hope everyone will remember to pray for Shonda today.

                Comment


                • #9
                  The little Baptist church in Sutherland, Texas is demonstrating the power of the gospel. Their faith and trust in God out does the pain inflected by the killer of 26 of their members. All who suffer ought to look upon this and be taught how to endure - endure just like the martyrs.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Please pray for Shonda today.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Please pray for Shonda today. She had a double mastectomy back in November. Now she has a blood clot in her arm from the medication. She is fearful they will have to amputate her arm.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I can't imagine the difficulty she is going through. I'm praying for her, brother Lou.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Baruch View Post
                          I can't imagine the difficulty she is going through. I'm praying for her, brother Lou.
                          Thank you so very much Barry. Her husband has all but abandoned her. She is a past girlfriend of my bother Greg. She is dealing with a lot of fear.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X