• Show
Clear All

• The most detailed map yet of our place in the universe

This is the most detailed map yet of our place in the universe

http://www.vox.com/2014/9/4/6105631/...akea-milky-way

Originally posted by Lou Newton View Post
    This is the most detailed map yet of our place in the universe

http://www.vox.com/2014/9/4/6105631/...akea-milky-way
    Absolutely amazing, Lou. At first I thought the tiny red dot was was marking where our solar system lies within our Milky Way galaxy. But the tiny red dot IS the Milky Way!! And there may be over 100,000 galaxys besides our Milky Way contained in the Laniakea supercluster?

Wow! God is so much bigger than any of us can even begin to comprehend!

Blane

Comment

Originally posted by Blane View Post
      Absolutely amazing, Lou. At first I thought the tiny red dot was was marking where our solar system lies within our Milky Way galaxy. But the tiny red dot IS the Milky Way!! And there may be over 100,000 galaxys besides our Milky Way contained in the Laniakea supercluster?

Wow! God is so much bigger than any of us can even begin to comprehend!

Blane
      Hi Blane,

And that is only our local supercluster of 100,000 galaxies. There are many other superclusters that make up BILLIONS of galaxies.

Edit: BTW that red dot is far larger ( so that we can see the dot) than our galaxy is on that map. Our galaxy is only a tiny spec on that map.

Yea, what you said.

Light travels at about 186,000 miles every second. So it takes light about 8.5 minutes to travel from the sun to us.

But it takes light over 4 years to travel to the CLOSEST star in our galaxy.

It take light 100,000 years to travel across our galaxy.

The closest large galaxy that we can see took the light that comes from it 2.3 MILLION years to get to us. We are seeing it as it looked 2.3 million years ago.

You can see this galaxy with your naked eyes on a dark night and it covers a large portion of the night sky.

Now imagine how long it took the light to get to us that we can see today from those galaxies that are the farthest from us. It took the light BILLIONS of years to get here.

Light goes to the moon in a little over a second. But it took light BILLIONS of years to get from those far away galaxies to us.

God has left us a record of what took place BILLIONS of years ago. For the further we look from us, the further back in time we are seeing.

The further away we look the more different the galaxies look. That is because we are seeing light that left them billions of years ago and that is what they looked like billions of years ago.

So God has created this universe so that we can learn what it looked like further and further back in time by looking farther and further away from us. The further away we look the further back in time we are seeing.

AND we can only see all this BECAUSE God put our Solar system in our galaxy where there is no dust and there are not many other stars. That is the only reason we can see so far away from us.

Most of the solar systems can only see the stars close to them because of all the dust and other stars.

Our planet is a very PRIVILEDGED PLANET TO BE ABLE TO SEE SO FAR.

Truly God wants us to be able to see and learn about His creation.

When we see our universe is so vast beyond our understanding, we then know that our Creator is far more vast then the creation.

Isaiah 43:13
      Yes, and from ancient days I am he. No one can deliver out of my hand. When I act, who can reverse it?”
      Daniel 7:9
      “As I looked, “thrones were set in place, and the Ancient of Days took his seat. His clothing was as white as snow; the hair of his head was white like wool. His throne was flaming with fire, and its wheels were all ablaze.
      But God also says:

2 Peter 3:8
      • American Standard Version
        But forget not this one thing, beloved, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.

So if a 1000 years is but a day to God, and he calls Himself the Ancient of Days, does that not mean that many many days have gone by since he created our universe.

We also see His creation tells us the same thing.

His creation and His Holy Scriptures agree on this truth.

Our God can not be contained in any little box that many men want to put Him in.

In fact God can not be contained in this universe that is so large it is beyond our ability to imagine.

The Lord is trying to tell us that He is very large and very powerful and very very old.

Any mere man can imagine 6000 years.

But no man can imagine billions and billions of years.

Eph 3
      14 For this reason I kneel before the Father, 15 from whom every family[a] in heaven and on earth derives its name. 16 I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, 17 so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, 18 may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ,19 and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.
      20 Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, 21 to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.
      Yes The Love of Christ is bigger than this universe.

Jesus planned to die for you before He created this universe.

Eph 1

Praise for Spiritual Blessings in Christ

3 Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in the heavenly realms with every spiritual blessing in Christ. 4For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight. In love 5 he[b] predestined us for adoption to sonship[c] through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will— 6 to the praise of his glorious grace, which he has freely given us in the One he loves. 7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God’s grace 8 that he lavished on us. With all wisdom and understanding, 9 he[d] made known to us the mystery of his will according to his good pleasure, which he purposed in Christ, 10 to be put into effect when the times reach their fulfillment—to bring unity to all things in heaven and on earth under Christ.
      Now if Jesus planned to save you that long ago and His love is that large beyond our ability to even imagine;

Do you think Jesus is able to save you if you ask Him to.

Do you think he is willing to save you if you ask Him to.

Jesus proved he is willing to save you by dying on the cross.

Jesus proved he is able to save you by raising Himself from the dead.

Woe is me if I do not preach His gospel. I am compelled to preach his gospel.

Grace to you
      Lou Newton
      Last edited by Lou Newton; February 12, 2015, 04:24 AM.

Comment

Amen, Lou and Blane. I'm edified by these reminders of how enormous and grand the natural is, how small we are by comparison, and God surpasses all of it. Because He has created and maintained all there is, we can believe He can and will keep his promises that are yet to come.

Comment

Originally posted by Baruch View Post
          Amen, Lou and Blane. I'm edified by these reminders of how enormous and grand the natural is, how small we are by comparison, and God surpasses all of it. Because He has created and maintained all there is, we can believe He can and will keep his promises that are yet to come.
          Yikes, Barry. Now you've gone and made our infinite God seem even bigger. Not only did he create all things; He also causes all things to hold together!

Imagine how much power it must take to hold every molecule in this vast universe together!

Blane

Comment

Working...
          X