Scientists claim to have discovered super metal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scientists claim to have discovered super metal

If this is true and it can be cheaply and practically duplicated, this will be a very big discovery.

They claim to have discovered a way to mix magnesium with nano particles of silicon carbide to make it very strong and heat resistant.

Magnesium is a very light and stiff metal, BUT it burns at a fairly low temp with a very white hot flame that leaves nothing but ash.

Magnesium will burn in nitrogen, carbon dioxide, or even water. So it is very difficult to extinguish once it starts burning.

But it is a very common element that makes up a large portion of the earth's crust, so is easy and cheap to obtain.

Race cars built out of magnesium are very light, but if they catch on fire, the whole car burns up including the engine block, frame, wheels etc. Once they catch on fire CO2 fire extinguishers will not put out the fire.

But if these people have found a way to cause magnesium to take a lot of heat and stay strong while hot, it will revolutionize the aircraft industry.

http://www.newsweek.com/scientists-c...-metals-409031

This would also revolutionize lighter mobiles, such as cars and robots. I read that aircars are being approved somewhere in the USA (which is kind of worrying to me both as a flyer and a ground pounder).

Maybe body armor? Building structures in general.

Lighter hiking and camping materials would be wonderful.

Comment

Originally posted by Baruch View Post
      This would also revolutionize lighter mobiles, such as cars and robots. I read that aircars are being approved somewhere in the USA (which is kind of worrying to me both as a flyer and a ground pounder).

Maybe body armor? Building structures in general.

Lighter hiking and camping materials would be wonderful.

Amen, the possibilities are endless. The aircraft industry would really be changed. How would you like carrying a hunting rifle that was half the weight.

Comment

Working...
      X