Hubble telescope spots most distant object ever seen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hubble telescope spots most distant object ever seen

Hubble telescope spots most distant object ever seen in known universe - a galaxy 13.4 billion light years away

To watch video that zooms in to this galaxy click on the link below:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/scie...ears-away.html
    [COLOR=#565656 !important]2K[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#565656 !important]2[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#565656 !important]6[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#565656 !important]2K[/COLOR]
    Email

Put an Alberta adventure at the top of your travel plan With so many ways to enjoy the spectacular vistas that make Alberta so famous, why not try these great trip ideas?

Sponsored by Travel Alberta

By Lucy Clarke-Billings, video source NASA

9:26PM GMT 03 Mar 2016

192 Comments

The most distant object ever seen in the known universe has been spotted by the Hubble Space Telescope - a galaxy that is 13.4 billion light years away.

An iconic image from the Hubble telescope: The Pillars of Creation, located at the heart of the Eagle Nebula. The Pillars are gaseous nurseries for newborn stars

The light we see from the galaxy began its journey through space just 400 million years after the Big Bang gave birth to the universe.

The Hubble telescope is grappled to Space Shuttle Atlantis back in 2009 Photo: NASA

The discovery has shattered the cosmic distance record set byastronomers.

A composite image of the Crab Nebula, which is a six-light-year-wide expanding remnant of a star's supernova explosion
    The distance to the galaxy, known as GN-z11, was measured by splitting its light up into its component colours.
    In this tightly cropped image the space shuttle Atlantis and the Hubble telescope are seen in silhouette during solar transit. The two spaceships were at an altitude of 600 km and they zipped across the sun in only 0.8 seconds Photo: NASA
    Because of the expansion of the universe, distant objects flying away from us have their light stretched to the red end of the spectrum - a phenomenon known as "red shift".
    Dark lanes of dust crisscross the giant elliptical galaxy Centaurus A. At a distance of just over 11 million light-years, Centaurus A contains the closest active galactic nucleus to Earth. The center is home for a supermassive black hole that ejects jets of high-speed gas into space, but neither the supermassive black hole or the jets are visible in this image
    The larger an object's red shift, the further away it is.
    Previously a galaxy called EGSY8p7 held the red shift record, a figure of 8.68. But GN-z11 has a red shift of 11.1, corresponding to just 400 million years after the universe began.
    NGC 6302, also called the Butterfly Nebula, is a bipolar planetary nebula in the constellation Scorpius
    Dr Pascal Oesch, a member of the team from Yale University in the US, said: "We've taken a major step back in time, beyond what we'd ever expected to be able to do with Hubble. We managed to look back in time to measure the distance to a galaxy when the universe was only 3 per cent of its current age."
    The Big Bang is thought to have brought everything that now exists into being around 13.8 billion years ago.
    Kepler's Supernova Remnant is a cloud from an exploded star in our Milky Way galaxy Photo: AFP

I'm sure they will see even farther in the future if the Lord permits. There are actually people out there with a movement trying to claim that the Earth is flat. Some of these men have Phd.s. How absurd is that?

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Hollander View Post
      I'm sure they will see even farther in the future if the Lord permits. There are actually people out there with a movement trying to claim that the Earth is flat. Some of these men have Phd.s. How absurd is that?

Thanks for the reply Steve. Men remain blind because they insist on hanging onto their beliefs. The longer they have had these beliefs, the more they hang onto them.

The Pharisees died insisting that the man who raised the dead in front of their eyes was not God.

They were hanging onto the truth, taught in the Scriptures, that there was but ONE God. But they missed the fact that that One God had stated that He would become a Man to save men from their sin.

Comment

Yes but the world is flat? I thought this was settled a couple of thousand years ago. I mean to deny that which is clear is a form of insanity. And these people are proselytizing for desciples.

Comment

I agree, Steve. It seems more likely the flat earth premise is the conspiracy to commit delusion.

The present cosmic view has been developed over centuries, and corroborated independently over and over.

Darwin's evolution of species theory has serious holes that get bigger over time. The present cosmic view doesn't suffer from such flaws.

I tried contending with flat earthers. I cannot say for sure, but I think it was a waste of effort. Those guys seemed to have a death grip on their funky views.

Lou, I haven't tired of looking at Hubble photos. Our Lord has such an eye for beauty, and he made us to appreciate it on many levels. It amazes me that light can travel 13 billion years to land on Hubble's photosensitive plate.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Hollander View Post
            Yes but the world is flat? I thought this was settled a couple of thousand years ago. I mean to deny that which is clear is a form of insanity. And these people are proselytizing for desciples.

There are many who think they can not experience the evidence that the world is not flat. Many are part of a group that claims to believe the Holy Scriptures and also proclaim that the world is flat. They do not want to take a position that will bring criticism from those around them. They use the scripture where God uses the expression about "the four corners of the earth". They then say that make it clear that the earth is flat and also rectangular in shape.

They miss the scripture that tells us that the letter of the law brings death and the spirit of the law brings life.

They also missed the scriptures that can be interpreted that the earth is like a ball, globe, sphere and is hung on nothing.

Now if someone is truly seeking the truth, they do not justify their position. Instead they have no position. For if someone has taken a position, they already have made up their mind. That is not a way to see the truth.

People have to give up all of their beliefs and seek God for the truth. The only way to see the truth is to not have a belief, but admit that they do not know the truth. It was only those who confessed they were blind that Jesus gave sight.

Anyone seeking the truth is promised to find it. The Lord will point out the scriptures that reveal the earth is a globe, not flat.

But even heathens that did not have the scriptures, but sought to know the truth, knew the earth was a sphere hundreds of years before The Christ was born. They seen the shadow of a round earth on the moon during an eclipse. They seen that the sun and moon were round in any view at any time. They also seen they the hull of a ship would fade from view but the mast could be seen for miles after it faded. God reveals the truth to men with open minds.

Today any man can see that any body in the universe is a sphere that is over 400 miles in diameter. They can go to any observatory and see this fact. I bought my children a telescope so they could see for themselves that all the planets were a sphere, along with our moon and the four moons of Jupiter.

Men with closed minds will justify their position.

So God revealed the truth to heathen Greeks 500 years before Christ, but the men who claimed to be the head of His Church still claimed the earth was flat thousands of years later.

Sadly, the Church, that the world recognizes as Christ's church, is often the last to recognize the truth.

Also any person who understands God's law of gravity, will also understand that all bodies in the universe of a large size will be a sphere.

I might add that the evidence that the universe is very old is also overwhelming.

There is not one scripture that claims that the universe is young. There are only misinterpretations of the scriptures that people use to make this claim.

God calls Himself "The Ancient of Days". He also tells us that a thousand years to Him is like a day. So we know by that Name of God that there has been many many days, or many thousands of years. not a mere six days, or 6000 years.

Lou Newton
            Last edited by Lou Newton; March 5, 2016, 10:24 PM.

Comment

Hi Barry,
              Yes it is amazing to gaze at the heavens and marvel at our Lord's wisdom. But if we just look around us we can see even more evidence of His wisdom in the earthly part of the creation. Especially when it comes to man. I have always said that it takes far more faith to believe that this all happened by coincidence than it does to believe in God as the Intelligent Designer of it all. I mean how can it all continue on its own? All things need tending to aka maintenance in order to maintain order. How can they believe it's all chance?
              I'll stick with God as I not only recognize the glory of God in the creation, but I am so very thankful for it and that His grace allows me to recognize that. Blessings. ..... Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Baruch View Post
                I agree, Steve. It seems more likely the flat earth premise is the conspiracy to commit delusion.

The present cosmic view has been developed over centuries, and corroborated independently over and over.

Darwin's evolution of species theory has serious holes that get bigger over time. The present cosmic view doesn't suffer from such flaws.

I tried contending with flat earthers. I cannot say for sure, but I think it was a waste of effort. Those guys seemed to have a death grip on their funky views.

Lou, I haven't tired of looking at Hubble photos. Our Lord has such an eye for beauty, and he made us to appreciate it on many levels. It amazes me that light can travel 13 billion years to land on Hubble's photosensitive plate.

Amen to that Barry.

Comment

Working...
                X