Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New form of light discovered !

Scientists discover new form of light

"Our discovery will have real impacts for the study of light waves in areas such as secure optical communications," physicist John Donegan said.

By Brooks Hays | May 17, 2016 at 10:36 AM

Researchers recently discovered a beam of light with photons traveling with an angular momentum never before measured. Photo byagsandrew/Shutterstock

DUBLIN, Ireland, May 17 (UPI) -- Researchers in Ireland have discovered a new form of light. Their discovery is expected to reshape scientists' understanding of light's basic nature.

Angular momentum describes the rotation of a light beam around its axis. Until now, researchers believed the angular momentum was always a multiple of Planck's constant -- a constant ratio that describes the relationship between photon energy and frequency, and also sets the scale for quantum mechanics.

The newly discovered form of light, however, features photons with an angular momentum of just half the value of Planck's constant. The difference sounds small, but researchers say the significance of the discovery is great.
    "For a beam of light, although traveling in a straight line it can also be rotating around its own axis," John Donegan, a professor at Trinity College Dublin's School of Physics, explained in a news release. "So when light from the mirror hits your eye in the morning, every photon twists your eye a little, one way or another."

"Our discovery will have real impacts for the study of light waves in areas such as secure optical communications," Donegan added.

Researchers made their discovery after passing light through special crystals to create a light beam with a hollow, screw-like structure. Using quantum mechanics, the physicists theorized that the beam's twisting photons were being slowed to a half-integer of Planck's constant.

The team of researchers then designed a device to measure the beam's angular momentum as it passed through the crystal. As they had predicted, they registered a shift in the flow of photons caused by quantum effects.
    The researchers described their discovery in a paper published this week in the journal Science Advances.
    "What I think is so exciting about this result is that even this fundamental property of light, that physicists have always thought was fixed, can be changed," concluded Paul Eastham, assistant professor of physics at Trinity.

Originally posted by Lou Newton View Post
    Scientists discover new form of light

"Our discovery will have real impacts for the study of light waves in areas such as secure optical communications," physicist John Donegan said.

By Brooks Hays | May 17, 2016 at 10:36 AM

Researchers recently discovered a beam of light with photons traveling with an angular momentum never before measured. Photo byagsandrew/Shutterstock

DUBLIN, Ireland, May 17 (UPI) -- Researchers in Ireland have discovered a new form of light. Their discovery is expected to reshape scientists' understanding of light's basic nature.

Angular momentum describes the rotation of a light beam around its axis. Until now, researchers believed the angular momentum was always a multiple of Planck's constant -- a constant ratio that describes the relationship between photon energy and frequency, and also sets the scale for quantum mechanics.

The newly discovered form of light, however, features photons with an angular momentum of just half the value of Planck's constant. The difference sounds small, but researchers say the significance of the discovery is great.
    "For a beam of light, although traveling in a straight line it can also be rotating around its own axis," John Donegan, a professor at Trinity College Dublin's School of Physics, explained in a news release. "So when light from the mirror hits your eye in the morning, every photon twists your eye a little, one way or another."

"Our discovery will have real impacts for the study of light waves in areas such as secure optical communications," Donegan added.

Researchers made their discovery after passing light through special crystals to create a light beam with a hollow, screw-like structure. Using quantum mechanics, the physicists theorized that the beam's twisting photons were being slowed to a half-integer of Planck's constant.

The team of researchers then designed a device to measure the beam's angular momentum as it passed through the crystal. As they had predicted, they registered a shift in the flow of photons caused by quantum effects.
    The researchers described their discovery in a paper published this week in the journal Science Advances.
    "What I think is so exciting about this result is that even this fundamental property of light, that physicists have always thought was fixed, can be changed," concluded Paul Eastham, assistant professor of physics at Trinity.

I like to learn everything I can about natural light. Because God is spiritual light and the natural is a sign of the spiritual.

So we can learn about The Lord by learning about natural light.

Man did not know much about light until a short time ago. Men thought that visible light was the only kind of light. But then man found out that visible light is only a very small portion of all light.

Also gamma rays ( a high energy form of light ) would kill any man who got exposed to anything but a very little of it. Gamma rays have a very short wave length and are very high energy. Radio waves ( another form of light) have very long wave lengths and are low energy.

We are still learning about light, and we know little about it. Sometimes light acts like a particle, and other times it acts like a wave. We do not know what photons are made up of.

I think light may be beyond human understanding, just as god is beyond human understanding.

Comment

I like to learn everything I can about natural light. Because God is spiritual light and the natural is a sign of the spiritual.

Man did not know much about light until a short time ago. Men thought that visible light was the only kind of light. But then man found out that visible light is only a very small portion of all light.

Also gamma rays ( a high energy form of light ) would kill any man who got exposed to anything but a very little of it. Gamma rays have a very short wave length and are very high energy. Radio waves ( another form of light) have very long wave lengths and are low energy.

We are still learning about light, and we know little about it. Sometimes light acts like a particle, and other times it acts like a wave. We do not know what photons are made up of.

I think light may be beyond human understanding, just as god is beyond human understanding.

Excellent comment. Thank you, Lou. Your interest and comments on these things are a blessing.

Comment

Originally posted by Baruch View Post

Excellent comment. Thank you, Lou. Your interest and comments on these things are a blessing.

Thanks for the reply Barry.

I used my side mirror to back into a parking spot today after my jump stretch class. The spot was very close to the door, but there was a large concrete pillar for the light pole in the spot, so that is why no one had parked there. I backed in slowly while watching the concrete pillar in my mirror. I came very close to the pillar, BUT was not worried that I would hit it because I know how light behaves in mirrors.

Now some are not used to backing up using the light in the mirror. Some would turn the steering wheel the wrong way and hit the pole, and that is why few park there. But as long as one knows the rules of light and mirrors, it is a very very dependable way to back up.

THE LIGHT HAS NEVER ONCE LIED TO ME OR DECEIVED ME - NOT ONCE

I back into that spot many times and come within a couple of inches of that concrete pillar. But I have never hit it, because the light in the mirror is very honest and dependable.

I CAN DEPEND ON WHAT THE LIGHT IN THE MIRROR REVEALS TO ME.

God is like that. If we know His requirements for us, and truly know Him, we can depend on what He tells us. He will never lie or deceive us.

The Only men that get deceived are those that deceive themselves that they are playing by God's rules, when they are not.

Comment

I believe you are right, Lou.

As you stated, Genesis 1 has a lot to say about light. God spoke light into darkness. The light and the darkness are divided. Light gives life. Light communicates the seasons and signs. Light rules day and night. The true Light was given to man, and he became a living soul.

John 1 further tells us about the light. How in the beginning was the word, and he was that light, in him was everything made. And in him was the light and the life of men: the true Light that lights every man that comes into the world. The light shines in darkness, and the darkness could not comprehend or overcome it. But men loved the darkness more than the light because their deeds are evil.

Light exposes lies and reveals truth. Men cover up their evil lest the light uncover and reprove their deeds.

When we speak the gospel, the Holy Spirit speaks light into a spiritually dark world.

When God reconciles a man or woman to Himself, He speaks light into a dark heart and creates a new life. He brings the dead back to life.

Because God reveals Himself to us using the manifestation and metaphor of light, it is reasonable to expect that we will recognize the attributes of God when we study light. And that we cannot comprehend its true nature.
          Last edited by Baruch; May 21, 2016, 12:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Baruch View Post

I believe you are right, Lou.

As you stated, Genesis 1 has a lot to say about light. God spoke light into darkness. The light and the darkness are divided. Light gives life. Light communicates the seasons and signs. Light rules day and night. The true Light was given to man, and he became a living soul.

John 1 further tells us about the light. How in the beginning was the word, and he was that light, in him was everything made. And in him was the light and the life of men: the true Light that lights every man that comes into the world. The light shines in darkness, and the darkness could not comprehend or overcome it. But men loved the darkness more than the light because their deeds are evil.

Light exposes lies and reveals truth. Men cover up their evil lest the light uncover and reprove their deeds.

When we speak the gospel, the Holy Spirit speaks light into a spiritually dark world.

When God reconciles a man or woman to Himself, He speaks light into a dark heart and creates a new life. He brings the dead back to life.

Because God reveals Himself to us using the manifestation and metaphor of light, it is reasonable to expect that we will recognize the attributes of God when we study light. And that we cannot comprehend its true nature.
            Thanks you for this reply Barry.
            I was hoping someone would quote those scriptures. So I kept bumping this thread in hope of someone seeing what you see.

If we examine our solar system, it has but one source of light. While we have other planets and moons that we see in the sky, they have no light of their own, but only reflect the light of the Sun. We have but one source of light, just as we have but ONE God.

Psalm 19English Standard Version (ESV)

The Law of the Lord Is Perfect

To the choirmaster. A Psalm of David.

19 The heavens declare the glory of God,
            and the sky above proclaims his handiwork.
            2 Day to day pours out speech,
            and night to night reveals knowledge.
            3 There is no speech, nor are there words,
            whose voice is not heard.
            4 Their voice goes out through all the earth,
            and their words to the end of the world.
            In them he has set a tent for the sun,
            5 which comes out like a bridegroom leaving his chamber,
            and, like a strong man, runs its course with joy.
            6 Its rising is from the end of the heavens,
            and its circuit to the end of them,
            and there is nothing hidden from its heat.

Jesus is The bridgegroom, and He is our only source of light. Who is The Strongest Man, but Jesus. Though He was meek and did not defend Himself before those who wanted to kill Him, He also said, no one could take His life unless He laid it down Himself.

It was necessary for us that Jesus acted so meekly and allowed men to crucify Him. But it is also necessary that Jesus is the most powerful that exists, or His meekness would do us no good. For He has to have the power to save us.

The Sun appears and then sets, like Jesus who appears and then seems to disappear.

6 Its rising is from the end of the heavens,
            and its circuit to the end of them,

Jesus is everywhere from one end of the universe to the other. He is omnipresent. There is no other that is like this.

and there is nothing hidden from its heat.

There is nothing hidden from Jesus, He sees everything and everywhere.

We see here that scripture reveals that the Sun is a shadow of The Lord Jesus.

So we can learn much about God from this example God has given us.

Notice that there are not three Suns that somehow make up one source. There is one and only one Sun.

Many scientists who have studied solar systems in great detail and computer programs that have been fed what we do know about them; say that there can be no life in any solar system that has more than ONE Sun. The planets that surround any system with more than one star would be every unstable as far as heat and other life forces.

Only God The Father of all and The Creator of all is Righteous, and only He could pay for our sins.

While the Kinsman-Redeemer had to be a man to be our closest relative, He also had to be our Father to be our closest relative. While I am close to my brother (and Jesus is our Brother) I am even closer to my father. For we have a direct connection to our father and an indirect connection with our brother.

The Kinsman-Redeemer had to be WILLING and ABLE to redeem.

So Jesus had to become a Man to and die on the cross to prove to us He was WILLING to save us.

BUT He also had to be The Father to prove that He was ABLE to save us. There can be no God above Jesus, or that proof would then not exist. For that Supreme God could then decide if we would be allowed to enter heaven instead of the same one who shed his blood for us.

That would cast doubt upon our salvation in the hearts of every man. That is exactly why Satan has gone to so much effort to convince most that Jesus is not The One Supreme God The Father.

The Holy Scriptures tell us a different story than so many of these churches that teach this error. For the Holy Scriptures tell us:

Jesus is The Judge who decides who is a sheep of a Goat

Jesus is The Lord of all lords

Jesus is The King of all kings

Lou Newton
            Last edited by Lou Newton; May 21, 2016, 07:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X