No announcement yet.

Gomer Pyle, USMC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In His Steps: What Would Jesus Do? - published in 1896, the book has sold more than 30 million copies, and ranks as one of the best-selling books of all time.

From the time it was first published until about 1930 it was the perhaps the book most read by teenagers. I suspect its influence had a lot to do with the increased desire to seriously follow Jesus in the first decade of the 20th century. It surely must have influenced the rise of Pentecostalism and the great spiritual awakening in New York City in the first decade.

It is a simple little book that never quits haunting me. The publisher failed to properly register the copyright. Since there were no royalties or restriction on publishing there were many publishers at a cheaper price than other books. I have an original from 1896.

Your post just about summarized In His Steps.

You do not have to wonder about what I have been thinking all day.

Comment

I'll go, but I might need a ride.

Comment

Yes - a ride.

I am reminded of the footprints in the sand.
        Looking at them I see my struggles and wonder why Christ was not there to help me.
        When I asked him where he was he answered,
        "Child, those are not your footprints, but mine. You see, I am carrying you."

Walking in faith is always a ride in the arms of the Lord.
        Everyone will need a ride.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyDavid View Post
          I like the way you are thinkin. We might have a long walk before we find that church you're talkin about. Maybe we would have to take ourselves to where the filth and the broken live. Plant some love there and see what grows. I have been reading a book called "The Irresistable Revolution" by Shane Clairborne. He says to leave your title at home and not to underestimate the power of the broken to minister to the ministers. In fact it is imperative that ministry occur between everyone so everybody feels loved and needed..and to have success. Some of the things he has seen poor people do for him and each other has left him feeling in awe and inadequate. Pretty incredible story of the ability of Love to cross over divisions and boundaries in what would seem to be God-forsaken places. Yes, Love compels..legalism demands. Open 24/7 huh? No locked doors? A true sanctuary for those in need? No matter their color or creed? I like you Glen..when are we gettin started? Maybe Steve wants to go too..
          Hi Roy,

He says to leave your title at home and not to underestimate the power of the broken to minister to the ministers.

Years ago when I was a Chaplin at the Youngstown Rescue Mission I met this man that had been sexually abused as a baby by his father and bothers. He could remember crying from hunger and a brother would give him his penis instead of a bottle. He had many problems and could not sleep in a bed that the mattress had strips on, for he feared the strips would turn into razor blades and harm him. I could go on but just say that he had many problems like this.

I was struck by his humility that he had even though he had these problems. His humility was very impressive when displayed among many others who had been victims and were filled with anger and how they blamed all their problems on everyone except themselves.

I was also struck by the difference between his humility and the arrogance of the pastors there when they tried to help him. It was obvious they looked down upon him and that kept him from being helped by them. He did not feel love from them, but felt looked down upon the same as his father and bothers had done.

I tried to accept him as my brother and tell him about Jesus. One morning he was waiting for me on the front steps as I arrived to say good-by to me. I had been praying on the drive there and asking The Lord, how can I help this man. As I was talking to him on the steps, The Lord spoke very clearly to me; "I did not send Mike here for you to help him, I sent Mike here to help you."

It was then I became aware that I was also looking down upon him and considered him as being a person with many needs instead of a person with much to offer. I have never forgotten that and remember it often. The humility of Mike has been an example to me ever since meeting him. He had much to offer everyone at the Rescue Mission but it seems very few received what he had to offer.

BTW, my back went out of place and I have been unable to sit in my computer chair to write for some days.
          Last edited by Lou Newton; February 15th, 2018, 10:32 AM.

Comment

Sorry to have to interject with a bit of negativity, but to put it bluntly, but gently, our thread title host, Gomer Pyle; played by Jim Neighbors, was a homosexual. He was one of the few in Hollywood to come clean of his own volition. Sorry to burst any bubbles, but Gomer was a Homer.

Comment

Yes, Steve, this thread has gone elsewhere but maybe "elsewhere" is somewhere.
              It has gone that no one would find from the thread title - a stranger process.

Lou,
              You make an significant point.
              It is an aspect of carnal man to think better of himself than others
              and to disdain those who have experienced debauchery in the past
              or who continue involvement in such disgusting things.
              It is the carnal opinion that these disgusting things are what makes Christians more spiritual than others.

Such opinions are natural.
              It is natural to think we are entitled to a position while others are not.
              That is the thinking of carnal man.

The Holy Spirit does not allow such thoughts.
              The presence of the holiness of God extinguishes such thoughts.
              The Lord Jesus allowed prostitutes to be His disciples and described charitable behavior by a Samarian who was despised by the Jews.

If not for the Holy Ghost correction, men express their objections to the many for whom Christ died.
              To identify such offenses to God just name those people whom are not deserving because of their sins or illegal behavior.

Lou was blessed to have God convict him of his just as it must have been for every believer.

PS.
              1. Lou, with back problems you might be better off to let up on world, open class, weight lifting.
              2. Caution: The description by Lou is much more graphic than necessary.
              Last edited by glen smith; February 15th, 2018, 10:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by glen smith View Post
                Yes, Steve, this thread has gone elsewhere but maybe "elsewhere" is somewhere.
                It has gone that no one would find from the thread title - a stranger process.

Lou,
                You make an significant point.
                It is an aspect of carnal man to think better of himself than others
                and to disdain those who have experienced debauchery in the past
                or who continue involvement in such disgusting things.
                It is the carnal opinion that these disgusting things are what makes Christians more spiritual than others.

Such opinions are natural.
                It is natural to think we are entitled to a position while others are not.
                That is the thinking of carnal man.

The Holy Spirit does not allow such thoughts.
                The presence of the holiness of God extinguishes such thoughts.
                The Lord Jesus allowed prostitutes to be His disciples and described charitable behavior by a Samarian who was despised by the Jews.

If not for the Holy Ghost correction, men express their objections to the many for whom Christ died.
                To identify such offenses to God just name those people whom are not deserving because of their sins or illegal behavior.

Lou was blessed to have God convict him of his just as it must have been for every believer.

PS.
                1. Lou, with back problems you might be better off to let up on world, open class, weight lifting.
                2. Caution: The description by Lou is much more graphic than necessary.
                Thanks Glen. I disagree that the description was too graphic. This is what the pastors at the Mission knew about Mike and was why they looked down on him so much. He was a very small baby and was moved by extreme hunger. It seems to me that God had blessed Mike with humility far beyond what any of them revealed to me.

A very large portion of the church seems to look down on others that confess their sins. I remember well thinking I was being told in one way or another, that Jesus could even help people like me. These people slowed my growth as a Christian as long as I attended their churches. I sat in one of those churches on Sunday, and Jesus spoke to me very clearly. He said," do they have anything here that you need". I said, no and walked out. I have had a much easier time ever since that day.

Most churches seem to operate by the command of their King ( Pastor). Only those approved by him may take part in any ministry. The Pastor preaches every Sunday trying to pour the water of the word into people. But this is not the way to Life.

The very first miracle of Jesus reveals that to be very serious error:
                John 2 (NIV)

Jesus Changes Water Into Wine

2 On the third day a wedding took place at Cana in Galilee. Jesus’ mother was there, 2 and Jesus and his disciples had also been invited to the wedding. 3 When the wine was gone, Jesus’ mother said to him, “They have no more wine.”

4 “Woman, why do you involve me?” Jesus replied. “My hour has not yet come.”

5 His mother said to the servants, “Do whatever he tells you.”

6 Nearby stood six stone water jars, the kind used by the Jews for ceremonial washing, each holding from twenty to thirty gallons.

7 Jesus said to the servants, “Fill the jars with water”; so they filled them to the brim.

8 Then he told them, “Now draw some out and take it to the master of the banquet.”

They did so, 9 and the master of the banquet tasted the water that had been turned into wine. He did not realize where it had come from, though the servants who had drawn the water knew. Then he called the bridegroom aside 10 and said, “Everyone brings out the choice wine first and then the cheaper wine after the guests have had too much to drink; but you have saved the best till now.”

11 What Jesus did here in Cana of Galilee was the first of the signsthrough which he revealed his glory; and his disciples believed in him.

12 After this he went down to Capernaum with his mother and brothersand his disciples. There they stayed for a few days.

The six water jars are shadows of Christians. They are filled with the water of the word to the very brim, but still no wine.

The water becomes wine when the water is poured out, NOT when it is poured in.

Unless Christians are permitted to take part in the ministry of the church they have no wine for others to drink. Their water becomes wine when it is poured out.

God reveals in the OT that He is looking for wine from His vineyard.

Comment

Much food is in the fallow ground of the poor,
                  And for lack of justice there is waste. (Prov 13:23)

How easy it is to find fault with a man whose ground lies without a growing crop. Surely he must lack ambition or a desire to provide for his family! His sin has separated him from God!! Why else would his land be overgrown with weeds and overrun with all manner of creatures?

As Christians we are well trained to find sin and fault, and can identify a speck in a man's eye at a 100 meters. In our arrogance we attribute such an ability to our great conquering of sin and thus our over-flowing with great spiritual discernment..(for the assistance of others of course). But other than our supernatural condemnation, how are we any different from the poor man's enemies? How willing will a man be to learn from me, if I am not willing to learn from him? Perhaps before I begin casting stones, the least I can do is to learn of his circumstances; learn of his challenges, learn of his handicaps. In fact, maybe out of love, I simply put my shoulder next to his on the rusted plow and shut up. And maybe as we toil together the Truth will be come evident..to BOTH of us!

Failure is easy to see. Seeing Jesus is not. I believe we were given the Holy Spirit for the express purpose of identifying the Holy One of Israel. It was given to us so we could see whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, and if there is ANY virtue, or if there is ANYTHING praiseworthy..then we should tell THAT to the poor farmer. Tell him of the goodness you see in his effort, tell him of Christ-like qualities that he possesses. Tell him that God has not forsaken him, and while he was a messed up, screwed up failure, Jesus comes to him in the darkness with healing in His Wings.

We will sit in church praising God for an hour, but won't say a single meaningful praise to our neighbor.
                  "Whatsoever things you do unto the least of these, you do unto Me."
                  If a man knows that God has not left him behind, and is in fact WITHIN him, than perhaps he will have the faith to believe that ambition and ability will come to plow under the overgrown mess of the field.

Is the poor man a sinner? Yes. Was he made in the image of God? Yes. Does he have any divine characteristics?? Can he teach another sinner made of dirt anything?? And could we both not prosper more together than apart?
                  Justice and Mercy..What a concept!!

Comment

Originally posted by RoyDavid View Post
                    Much food is in the fallow ground of the poor,
                    And for lack of justice there is waste. (Prov 13:23)

How easy it is to find fault with a man whose ground lies without a growing crop. Surely he must lack ambition or a desire to provide for his family! His sin has separated him from God!! Why else would his land be overgrown with weeds and overrun with all manner of creatures?

As Christians we are well trained to find sin and fault, and can identify a speck in a man's eye at a 100 meters. In our arrogance we attribute such an ability to our great conquering of sin and thus our over-flowing with great spiritual discernment..(for the assistance of others of course). But other than our supernatural condemnation, how are we any different from the poor man's enemies? How willing will a man be to learn from me, if I am not willing to learn from him? Perhaps before I begin casting stones, the least I can do is to learn of his circumstances; learn of his challenges, learn of his handicaps. In fact, maybe out of love, I simply put my shoulder next to his on the rusted plow and shut up. And maybe as we toil together the Truth will be come evident..to BOTH of us!

Failure is easy to see. Seeing Jesus is not. I believe we were given the Holy Spirit for the express purpose of identifying the Holy One of Israel. It was given to us so we could see whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, and if there is ANY virtue, or if there is ANYTHING praiseworthy..then we should tell THAT to the poor farmer. Tell him of the goodness you see in his effort, tell him of Christ-like qualities that he possesses. Tell him that God has not forsaken him, and while he was a messed up, screwed up failure, Jesus comes to him in the darkness with healing in His Wings.

We will sit in church praising God for an hour, but won't say a single meaningful praise to our neighbor.
                    "Whatsoever things you do unto the least of these, you do unto Me."
                    If a man knows that God has not left him behind, and is in fact WITHIN him, than perhaps he will have the faith to believe that ambition and ability will come to plow under the overgrown mess of the field.

Is the poor man a sinner? Yes. Was he made in the image of God? Yes. Does he have any divine characteristics?? Can he teach another sinner made of dirt anything?? And could we both not prosper more together than apart?
                    Justice and Mercy..What a concept!!
                    Roy David,
                    You are sounding like Tozer or Spurgeon.

Comment

Working...
                    X