Sir arthur, the 3-legged ptsd cat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sir arthur, the 3-legged ptsd cat

Arthur was born on one of the coldest nights of the winter a couple of years ago. It was at my neighbor's dairy barn where my youngest daughter, Kristine was working. The thermometer was showing temperature in the single digits and the wind was blowing it down much more frigid than that. This was the night that a young mother cat, (not much more than a kitten herself) was destined to give birth to her litter. Besides the fooling around part, she was quite inexperienced in the ways of motherhood. But she had her litter anyway, in a cold (of course) and dark out-of-the-way corner of the barn. The pain of the birth as well as the shock of seeing so many dependents, caused her to flee in fear, leaving her kids behind.

Well, since it was an out-of-the-way place, nobody saw or heard the kittens for quite some time. But when Kristine worked her shift, she somehow managed to hear the tiniest of squeaks, and found one little pitiful kitten left that had not quite succumbed. So she scooped him up and over a period of many days, fed him warm cow's milk with a medicine dropper, and gradually brought the little guy back to life. She fixed him a small straw-lined bunker where he was supposed to stay until he got big enough to navigate on his own. Well one morning Krissy came to work, and as was her habit, checked on Arthur first...except he wasn't where he was supposed to be. The milking of 200 cows was delayed that day while she searched for her precious ICU patient. She found him, but unfortunately it was in the aisle way of 1200 lb Holsteins. There he was, in a mashed and bloody mess laying in the manure and urine...again closer to death than life. But Krissy was not discouraged enough to quit, and scooped him up again. This time he had to go to the veterinarian where his best chance of survival was determined to be amputating his front leg in order to prevent infection from killing him. Handicapped cat with PTSD mental detriments made for a grim prognosis.

Krissy brought him back to the farm, but this time he made it all the way to her house for healing and recovery. Through nurturing care, he gradually healed of his injuries and grew nicely. But Krissy kept him in the house and would not let him outside for fear of what might happen. What chance would a handicapped cat have out in the cruel world? Well he was safe, but she noticed his attitude had become somber and his activity level lethargic. Finally it occurred to her that perhaps Arthur was not happy with confinement. She decided to let him outside for a brief trial one sunny day, just to see if he might like it. HE DID! His 3 good paws hit the grass running and Arthur took off as a gray streak on a 3 legged cat gallop. He disappeared and was gone for 3 weeks straight. Kristine was bummed out and blamed herself for exposing him to the world. As time went on, she figured surely Arthur had met an adversary that had made lunch out of a crippled cat. NOT SO! Back he came, all in his own due time, quite happy, fat and satisfied with himself. No lethargy. No depression. Being exactly what he was designed to be...a PROWLING CAT! Arthur doesn't think about his missing leg. He just figures a guy has to get by with what he has been given and be dang thankful for the other three. Poor cat couldn't really understand all the debilitating nature of PTSD..he just knew that coddling and confinement wasn't much fun.

Now Arthur lives with me. He goes out hunting every day and comes back when he's done. He steals Zeke's dog food if he feels like it, and biffs the dog in the nose with his good right paw if Zeke gives him any crap. If there is any discrepencies over the water bowl, the line forms behind the cat. When he wants to, he sneaks into the house by beating the door shut, and curls up on his favorite chair. Arthur loves to be held and petted and purrs while his belly is being rubbed.

Crippled cat overcomes handicaps through love and then by living! Arthur never set out to inspire us, but it just sorta worked out that way..

Then Jacob was left alone;
    And a Man wrestled with him until the breaking of day.
    Now when He saw that He did not prevail against him,
    He touched the socket of his hip;
    And the socket of Jacob's hip was out of joint as
    He wrestled with him.
    And He said, "Let Me go, for the day breaks."
    But Jacob said, "I will not let You go unless You bless me!"
    And He said to him,"What is your name?"
    And he said, "Jacob"
    And The Man said,"Your name shall not longer be Jacob,
    but Israel; for you have struggled with God
    and with men, and you have prevailed."
    The Jacob asked Him saying, "Tell me Your name I pray."
    And He said, "Why is it that you ask about My Name?"
    And He blessed him there.
    And Jacob called the place Peniel:
    "For I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved!"
    Just as he crossed over Peniel, the sun rose on him,
    And he limped on his hip. (Genesis 32:24-31)
    Last edited by RoyDavid; February 16, 2017, 10:29 AM.

Roy, I sure enjoy reading these articles of yours; and I have already heard the story before. I hope you keep seeing The Lord working in this life and writing about it. It would certainly be a shame to not have these stories to read. Please keep up the very good work.

Maybe the cat got misnamed, maybe it's name should be Jacob.

Comment

Great writing Roy. Thanks for the story.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyDavid View Post
        Arthur was born on one of the coldest nights of the winter a couple of years ago. It was at my neighbor's dairy barn where my youngest daughter, Kristine was working. The thermometer was showing temperature in the single digits and the wind was blowing it down much more frigid than that. This was the night that a young mother cat, (not much more than a kitten herself) was destined to give birth to her litter. Besides the fooling around part, she was quite inexperienced in the ways of motherhood. But she had her litter anyway, in a cold (of course) and dark out-of-the-way corner of the barn. The pain of the birth as well as the shock of seeing so many dependents, caused her to flee in fear, leaving her kids behind.

Well, since it was an out-of-the-way place, nobody saw or heard the kittens for quite some time. But when Kristine worked her shift, she somehow managed to hear the tiniest of squeaks, and found one little pitiful kitten left that had not quite succumbed. So she scooped him up and over a period of many days, fed him warm cow's milk with a medicine dropper, and gradually brought the little guy back to life. She fixed him a small straw-lined bunker where he was supposed to stay until he got big enough to navigate on his own. Well one morning Krissy came to work, and as was her habit, checked on Arthur first...except he wasn't where he was supposed to be. The milking of 200 cows was delayed that day while she searched for her precious ICU patient. She found him, but unfortunately it was in the aisle way of 1200 lb Holsteins. There he was, in a mashed and bloody mess laying in the manure and urine...again closer to death than life. But Krissy was not discouraged enough to quit, and scooped him up again. This time he had to go to the veterinarian where his best chance of survival was determined to be amputating his front leg in order to prevent infection from killing him. Handicapped cat with PTSD mental detriments made for a grim prognosis.

Krissy brought him back to the farm, but this time he made it all the way to her house for healing and recovery. Through nurturing care, he gradually healed of his injuries and grew nicely. But Krissy kept him in the house and would not let him outside for fear of what might happen. What chance would a handicapped cat have out in the cruel world? Well he was safe, but she noticed his attitude had become somber and his activity level lethargic. Finally it occurred to her that perhaps Arthur was not happy with confinement. She decided to let him outside for a brief trial one sunny day, just to see if he might like it. HE DID! His 3 good paws hit the grass running and Arthur took off as a gray streak on a 3 legged cat gallop. He disappeared and was gone for 3 weeks straight. Kristine was bummed out and blamed herself for exposing him to the world. As time went on, she figured surely Arthur had met an adversary that had made lunch out of a crippled cat. NOT SO! Back he came, all in his own due time, quite happy, fat and satisfied with himself. No lethargy. No depression. Being exactly what he was designed to be...a PROWLING CAT! Arthur doesn't think about his missing leg. He just figures a guy has to get by with what he has been given and be dang thankful for the other three. Poor cat couldn't really understand all the debilitating nature of PTSD..he just knew that coddling and confinement wasn't much fun.

Now Arthur lives with me. He goes out hunting every day and comes back when he's done. He steals Zeke's dog food if he feels like it, and biffs the dog in the nose with his good right paw if Zeke gives him any crap. If there is any discrepencies over the water bowl, the line forms behind the cat. When he wants to, he sneaks into the house by beating the door shut, and curls up on his favorite chair. Arthur loves to be held and petted and purrs while his belly is being rubbed.

Crippled cat overcomes handicaps through love and then by living! Arthur never set out to inspire us, but it just sorta worked out that way..

Then Jacob was left alone;
        And a Man wrestled with him until the breaking of day.
        Now when He saw that He did not prevail against him,
        He touched the socket of his hip;
        And the socket of Jacob's hip was out of joint as
        He wrestled with him.
        And He said, "Let Me go, for the day breaks."
        But Jacob said, "I will not let You go unless You bless me!"
        And He said to him,"What is your name?"
        And he said, "Jacob"
        And The Man said,"Your name shall not longer be Jacob,
        but Israel; for you have struggled with God
        and with men, and you have prevailed."
        The Jacob asked Him saying, "Tell me Your name I pray."
        And He said, "Why is it that you ask about My Name?"
        And He blessed him there.
        And Jacob called the place Peniel:
        "For I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved!"
        Just as he crossed over Peniel, the sun rose on him,
        And he limped on his hip. (Genesis 32:24-31)
        Very nice story, Roy. We'll expect at least one of these a week, even in the summer.

Comment

A beautiful story that perfectly illustrates surviving what life throws at you. Sounds like he had a couple of "earthly angels"

Comment

Originally posted by TennesseeLinda View Post
            A beautiful story that perfectly illustrates surviving what life throws at you. Sounds like he had a couple of "earthly angels"
            Linda, I can not tell you how nice it as to see your name appear on a post. Hope you are doing well now, we prayed for you.

Very nice comment, thanks.

Comment

Working...
            X