Humble man is sorry for calling thief a dirtbag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Humble man is sorry for calling thief a dirtbag

Please watch this short video. If this story does not melt your heart, you may need to ask The Lord to soften it.

Thanks, Lou. That's a good object lesson. By Jesus' high standards we've each broken all the commandments. Regardless of our challenges, we're each responsible for our own choices. The thief is still wrong, and it is right to stop him from stealing. And this man recognized his pride in judging the other. If we're honest we'll see and admit that we're all thieves at heart. Thanks to God there is hope for the thieves on the earth. Jesus paid it all.

Comment

This speaker sees only with human eyes in my opinion.
      He is making the mistake of comparing his blessing with one who is not blessed and believing his privilege by birth provides some spiritual advantage – just as the Jews did in Romans. Privilege carries with it the idea of deserving even if by inheritance.

The speaker is right to repent but wrong in thinking divine privilege is something he owns by default or through family - – if in fact he does. His privilege which was not available to the criminal excuses the criminal of full responsibility. In other words, he is a sinner because he had the wrong parents.

Salvation is by faith and faith alone and is available to all.
      All criminals not repenting and accepting forgiveness by faith are condemned already.

The object lesson here is grace rather than works or merit. Yes, sinners are responsible. The Good News is that the Lord Jesus has accepted the responsibility of the sinners’ sins.

Believers are to be “shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves.” Believers must be aware of the behavior of the unredeemed. Criminals are not Christians. Repentant criminals might be Christians.

I don’t know what he said in his previous YouTube, but believers should not accept violence and criminal activity in the mistaken attempt to follow Christ unless led by the Holy Spirit as with the Jim Elliot and the five missionaries to Peru.

Bottom line -– the message for criminals is the message of John the Baptist. “"But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees coming for baptism, he said to them, “You brood of vipers, who warned you to flee from the wrath to come?"” The job of the Holy Spirit is conviction and conversion.

I am uncomfortable with this man’'s regret as being biblical. It seems more social than godly.

Although, this may remain a warning for us - an object lesson.
      Issues here are war, self defense, protection of others, and the general opposition to evil.
      What is the role of a Christian? In my opinion it depends on the individual calling by God as how the believer is to fulfill his role in the body of Christ. Legitimately, one may be a warrior and another a pacifistic. In my eyes the warrior and the pacifistic ought to love and respect one another as fulfilling their divine mission in Christ. This also applies to both the executioner and the slave.

Sorry. He did not soften my heart. What softens my heart is when the drug addicted prostitute sits next to me on the pew on Sunday morning shedding tears as if her eyes were faucets and the congregation shouts in unison "glory hallelujah". Why is my heart softened? Because I witness that the Lord Jesus' death on the cross worked for her and for me!

By the way - nice antique hand tools which are well organized in the background.
      Last edited by glen smith; September 26, 2017, 12:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Baruch View Post
        Thanks, Lou. That's a good object lesson. By Jesus' high standards we've each broken all the commandments. Regardless of our challenges, we're each responsible for our own choices. The thief is still wrong, and it is right to stop him from stealing. And this man recognized his pride in judging the other. If we're honest we'll see and admit that we're all thieves at heart. Thanks to God there is hope for the thieves on the earth. Jesus paid it all.
        Hi Barry, thanks for your reply. Amen. As the man said, he would still stop this robber if he busted down his door. What was heartwarming to me was the fact that he repented of his first reaction at assuming the robber was a dirtbag. He had a change of heart and had mercy for him as we all need mercy.

Looking at the situation with human eyes ( which is our only choice unless The Holy Spirit would enlighten us) this man seen his privilege of growing up in a Christian home, while the robber grew up in a far different home. He repented from judging the robber, to refusing to judge him. That is a good thing for we are not the judge of any man's heart, only Jesus is The Judge. The man became aware that if he had been born in the robbers home, he might have grown up worse than the robber.

The man first reaction of judging the robber as a dirtbag would not soften the robbers heart. But showing mercy to the robber is more likely to cause him to repent.

Romans 2:4

Or do you show contempt for the riches of his kindness, forbearance and patience, not realizing that God’s kindness is intended to lead you to repentance?

I have seen the first reaction ( of calling the robber a dirtbag) so often and is so human ( also have seen it from myself). But the man's repentance and refusal to judge, and showing mercy instead, is maybe a repentance caused by The Holy Spirit. For who else can bring about true repentance.

Seeing The Holy Spirit move in man's life is always heartwarming to me. We all must have mercy for others for the Lord to have mercy on us.

James 2:13

12 Speak and act as those who are going to be judged by the law that gives freedom, 13 because judgment without mercy will be shown to anyone who has not been merciful. Mercy triumphs over judgment.

This man walked out of a place of judgement without mercy to a place of judging with mercy. We seen mercy triumph over judgement. That is heartwarming to me.
        Last edited by Lou Newton; September 26, 2017, 09:48 AM.

Comment

In the video the man mentions the passage were Jesus asks Simon this question:

Luke 7

Jesus Anointed by a Sinful Woman

36 When one of the Pharisees invited Jesus to have dinner with him, he went to the Pharisee’s house and reclined at the table. 37 A woman in that town who lived a sinful life learned that Jesus was eating at the Pharisee’s house, so she came there with an alabaster jar of perfume.38 As she stood behind him at his feet weeping, she began to wet his feet with her tears. Then she wiped them with her hair, kissed them and poured perfume on them.

39 When the Pharisee who had invited him saw this, he said to himself, “If this man were a prophet, he would know who is touching him and what kind of woman she is—that she is a sinner.”

40 Jesus answered him, “Simon, I have something to tell you.”

“Tell me, teacher,” he said.

41 “Two people owed money to a certain moneylender. One owed him five hundred denarii, and the other fifty. 42 Neither of them had the money to pay him back, so he forgave the debts of both. Now which of them will love him more?

43 Simon replied, “I suppose the one who had the bigger debt forgiven.”

“You have judged correctly,” Jesus said.

44 Then he turned toward the woman and said to Simon, “Do you see this woman? I came into your house. You did not give me any water for my feet, but she wet my feet with her tears and wiped them with her hair. 45 You did not give me a kiss, but this woman, from the time I entered, has not stopped kissing my feet. 46 You did not put oil on my head, but she has poured perfume on my feet. 47 Therefore, I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven—as her great love has shown. But whoever has been forgiven little loves little.”

48 Then Jesus said to her, “Your sins are forgiven.”

49 The other guests began to say among themselves, “Who is this who even forgives sins?”

50 Jesus said to the woman, “Your faith has saved you; go in peace.”
          My question is this: What did Jesus mean when He said: But whoever has been forgiven little loves little.”
          Last edited by Lou Newton; September 27, 2017, 11:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lou Newton View Post
            In the video the man mentions the passage were Jesus asks Simon this question:

Luke 7
            Jesus Anointed by a Sinful Woman

36 When one of the Pharisees invited Jesus to have dinner with him, he went to the Pharisee’s house and reclined at the table. 37 A woman in that town who lived a sinful life learned that Jesus was eating at the Pharisee’s house, so she came there with an alabaster jar of perfume.38 As she stood behind him at his feet weeping, she began to wet his feet with her tears. Then she wiped them with her hair, kissed them and poured perfume on them.

39 When the Pharisee who had invited him saw this, he said to himself, “If this man were a prophet, he would know who is touching him and what kind of woman she is—that she is a sinner.”

40 Jesus answered him, “Simon, I have something to tell you.”

“Tell me, teacher,” he said.

41 “Two people owed money to a certain moneylender. One owed him five hundred denarii, and the other fifty. 42 Neither of them had the money to pay him back, so he forgave the debts of both. Now which of them will love him more?”

44 Then he turned toward the woman and said to Simon, “Do you see this woman? I came into your house. You did not give me any water for my feet, but she wet my feet with her tears and wiped them with her hair. 45 You did not give me a kiss, but this woman, from the time I entered, has not stopped kissing my feet. 46 You did not put oil on my head, but she has poured perfume on my feet. 47 Therefore, I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven—as her great love has shown. But whoever has been forgiven little loves little.”

48 Then Jesus said to her, “Your sins are forgiven.”

49 The other guests began to say among themselves, “Who is this who even forgives sins?”

50 Jesus said to the woman, “Your faith has saved you; go in peace.”

My question is this: What did Jesus mean when He said: But whoever has been forgiven little loves little.”
            I was disappointed no one replied to this question, with an answer or a question.

Comment

41 “Two people owed money to a certain moneylender. One owed him five hundred denarii, and the other fifty. 42 Neither of them had the money to pay him back, so he forgave the debts of both. Now which of them will love him more?”

Listening to many preachers and many other people, the popular view seems to be that Mary a great sinner and so was forgiven much because she had many sins that needed to be forgiven. So being this great sinner that was forgiven of such great sin she loved Jesus much.

But Simon had a smaller amount of sin and so was forgiven of less sin, so he was forgiven of less and loved Jesus less.

This would then say that only great sinners can love Jesus more, and sinners with less sin can not love Jesus as much. That of course is ridiculous.

Mary was aware of her great sin and confessed it all to God. So she was forgiven of all of her sin and so loved Jesus much. Mary was forgiven of all of her sin, because she confessed that everything she did, and said, and thought fell short of the glory of God.

Simon was NOT aware of his great sin, and only confessed a small amount of his to God. So Simon was only forgiven of a small amount of his sin, and NOT all of his sin. Therefore he loved Jesus little.

Paul is strong evidence of this truth:

When Paul returned from his first trip he said in 1 Cor 15:
              9 For I am the least of the apostles and do not even deserve to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God.

Later when Paul returned for his second trip he said in Eph 3:
              8 Although I am less than the least of all the Lord’s people, this grace was given me: to preach to the Gentiles the boundless riches of Christ,

At the end of his life, Paul said in 1 Tim 1:
              15 Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners—of whom I am the worst.16 But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life.

Paul went from the least of the apostles, to the least of the saints, to the worst of sinners.

The longer Paul walked with Jesus to more he became aware of his sin. The closer Paul got to Jesus the more holy Paul seen that Jesus was and the more sin Paul became aware of.

The more sin we confess, the more we are forgiven. The more we are forgiven, the more we love Jesus.

Comment

Working...
              X